Chapter 5

Ravenkit watched as the two remaining Riverclan elders and an apprentice carried their dead friend away from their clan mates, taking him away to burry him. By the time they had returned, the sky had begun to brighten, signifying that it was almost time for the clans to continue on their journey. Heatherear, along with the other clan's deputies began organizing hunting parties.

Ravenkit yawned, wishing she had been able to get more sleep, but she decided to sleep away from her mother and littermates, still sulking. The continuous rain didn't help either. Ravenkit's fur hadn't been dry since the clans started their journey; her fur seemed to be even more soaked than she thought possible.

She didn't move from where she lay until the hunting parties returned, the Windclan cats carrying back two birds and a vole this time.  As usual, her littermates began fighting over the food and Ravenkit watched, waiting for things to calm down.  Instead, she heard footsteps running up to her and she snapped her head in that direction, her fur standing up, alarmed.

It was a younger kit, her cream colored fur smelling of Shadowclan, "Hello! I'm Creamkit! My brother said I could talk to you since you're not eating. Do you wanna play?"

Ravenkit shook her head, "Who's your brother?"

"Raggedpaw." She answered, frowning, "Why don't you want to play?"

Ravenkit looked back at her littermates, watching as Smallkit hissed at Wingkit, batting at her ears, "I'm waiting."

"For what?"

Ravenkit sighed, wondering that herself, "I don't really know...its not like those four are going to stop fighting."

"Are those your littermates?" Creamkit asked, her whiskers twitching as she watched them amused.

"Yes." Ravenkit sighed again, sitting up, "Do your littermates ever act like that?"

"Raggedpaw is my only actual littermate. The other kits I share a nest with are too little to fight." Creamkit mewed, "We don't ever fight though."

Ravenkit laid her ears back, wishing she didn't ask. How was she supposed to respond to that?

Thankfully, Creamkit jumped up, "Here he comes now!"

Ravenkit looked ahead of where Creamkit was scampering to, seeing Raggedpaw carrying a squirrel towards them. When Creamkit reached him, she began to leap around him, mewing in excitement. Ravenkit wondered how a kit could have so much energy on an empty stomach.

Creamkit ran back over to Ravenkit, sitting down, "Have you ever tasted squirrel? I like frogs better, but squirrel is good."

Ravenkit's nose crinkled at the mention of frogs, "I don't think I'd like frogs."

"Don't say that until you try it!" Creamkit jumped up again, flicking her tail in annoyance, "Frog is the best!"

"Settle down." Raggedpaw mumbled around the squirrel, setting it down as he finally reached them.

Ravenkit's belly rumbled as she caught the sent of the squirrel. Raggedpaw pushed the squirrel towards the two kits, encouraging them to eat. They both dug in, the two kits eating a little more than half of the squirrel before letting Raggedpaw eat the rest. By the time the squirrel was gone, the clan leaders were ready to leave.

Ravenkit walked with Creamkit and Raggedpaw, enjoying their company. Her suspicions of Shadowclan cats had disappeared completely before sun high. When the clans stopped again, Ravenkit finally noticed that she hadn't walked with her clan. She looked around, her fur fluffing up, expecting to be retrieved by her mother and lectured.

Surely it wasn't so bad to walk with another clan. After all, the four clans were traveling and cooperating with each other. Besides, on the first day of their travels, Ravenkit reminded herself, the Thunderclan and Shadowclan leaders shared food with her clan.

Ravenkit let her fur lie down, thinking that if she were doing something wrong, Raggedpaw and the other Shadowclan cats would tell her. And by now her mother would have noticed she wasn't with the clan and probably didn't care otherwise she would have already been lectured.

Convinced she wasn't doing anything wrong, Ravenkit continued to talk with her two new friends.