Chapter 22

Ravenpaw immediately relaxed when she recognized the scent and brown pelt of Fangpaw.  As he greeted her, she began to grow irritated, her fur bristling as she thought about the dangers he was putting himself in.

"What are you doing? You're not allowed to leave the camp right now!" She hissed at him.

His wounds had healed well the past few sunrises, but Ravenpaw was certain that he had yet to recover his strength. She was terrified of the idea of a wolf coming and Fangpaw being unable to fight or climb a tree. And if she was caught sneaking out of camp with him, what would she do if Grayspot sent her back to Windclan?

Fangpaw didn't make eye contact with her, "I'm fine-"

"Are you featherbrained?" She scowled at him then shook her head with a huff.

"You're going to need help." He answered innocently, "I'll find Thunderclan warriors and we'll convince them together!"

She watched as he took a few paw steps away, already deciding where to go, "Why didn't you come with me then?"

"I didn't think you would leave if you knew I was planning on coming." He looked back at her, his whiskers quivering slightly at her expression.

She followed him silently, planning to take him back to the camp when he began to get tired or just before sunrise.  She stayed alert for any signs of the wolves, wanting to know if they were near as soon as possible so she could try getting Fangpaw to safety.  Ahead of her, Fangpaw was alert, but mostly for any trace of his clanmates.  To him, it seemed like forever when he finally caught the sent of another cat, and his pace quickened.

"Flamefang?" He called, his hope that Thunderclan would be okay since he had found the deputy.

There was a pause before an orange pelt came sliding out from a hollow in an oak tree ahead, "Fangpaw?"  The tom's amber gaze went to Ravenpaw and instantly narrowed, "What's wrong?  Who is this?"

"This is Ravenpaw," the apprentice began to explain, instantly recoiling at Flamefang's reaction, "Harestar sent her to help out Thistlestar..."

When he trailed off, looking at Ravenpaw for help, she nodded pleasantly, knowing she had to stay friendly if they were going to convince him to go back to Thunderclan, "Yes, it's nice to meet you."

Flamefang's pelt bristled as if the she-cat had accused him of stealing prey or crossing a clan border.  As the two apprentices watched him, he didn't say anything so Fangpaw spoke.

"Umm...speaking of helping Thunderclan, it would really help if you came back with us.  We even have a-"

"No."  Flamefang answered before the brown tom could finish.

Ravenpaw frowned, but otherwise didn't respond as Fangpaw's pelt bristled, "What do you mean no?"

Flamefang didn't respond, turning his back to the two apprentices before beginning to walk away.  Ravenpaw watched the ginger tom walk away.  She was surprised when Fangpaw took a step forward, his pelt still bristling as he called out to the deputy.

"I'll remember how much of a coward you really are!  You'd make a terrible leader anyways, leaving cats to suffer and die!"

Ravenpaw continued to watch Flamefang, her muscles tensing like she was getting ready for a fight.  Flamefang continued walking until his tail disappeared behind some foliage and the two young cats could no longer see him.  Fangpaw's fur didn't lie flat as he started walking again, Ravenpaw following quietly.

She had not expected an outburst like that from Fangpaw.  For as long as she had known him, the young tom almost seemed docile towards others.  Perhaps be hadn't always been that way and once things settled down, cats who had appeared to changed would return to their clans and act like their normal selves.

By the time Ravenpaw led Fangpaw back to camp, they had come across four other cats.  Two of which were from Shadowclan, one of the others being Sandfoot, and the other being a Thunderclan tom that Fangpaw had called Ivystorm.  They had convinced Sandfoot and Ivystorm to return to their clans, and the Thunderclan Tom followed behind the two apprentices as they walked into the camp clearing.

Fangpaw plopped down onto the ground with a sigh, disappointed by their lack of progress.  As Ravenpaw padded closer to the fallen tree, Night emerged out from under it.  Ravenpaw hesitated before taking another step, surprised that the she-cat was already up.  Her mind again wandered to Grayspot, but she pushed her worry down, following Ivystorm as he walked past her.

"So I see you got someone to follow you back."  Night muttered quietly as Ivystorm's tail disappeared inside the den, "But was it really worth risking the safety of everyone for the addition of one cat?"

Ravenpaw sighed, sitting down, "I don't know.  I'm just doing what I think is right and partly what I'm told.  Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not."

Night's whiskers quivered, "I'm making you cross that river all day today, kit."

Ravenpaw huffed in irritation but didn't complain.  Instead, she followed Night as she began to lead the way back out of the camp.