The Conway Cable

AN

Author-chan is about to flip her shit on her rl family

ANYWAY on a happier note, LOOK NEW CHAPTER YAY---It's kinda boring though. New chapter should be better. AND AND AND GUESS WHAT WE'RE RAPIDLY APPROACHING

WHAT'D I MISS

and the winter ball....that'll be exciting too. 

Basically, I'm going to hit the Winter Ball and real history is going to go flying out the window. Lots of fun.

----

Warnings: None

----

Lafayette got his answer sooner than he thought he would. From Conway, Gates, and Charles Lee because goddamnit those bastards should be thrown out of the army for the slander that plagues to army against Washington and he knew that this is where he was needed. Of course, that didn't stop him from writing the State of Virginia notes.

Lafayette, Hamilton, Laurens, and Greene soon found themselves being dragged through the mud because they were loyal to Washington and refused to do anything but support him. Lafayette found himself working closely with everyone trying to defend Washington. And he found himself distrusting Lee to an unhealthy extent ever since he returned from being held prisoner by the British. Despite their best efforts, the war under Washington's command was yielding little success whereas Gates had achieved a massive victory, though they did not remove Washington from Commander in Chief, they did establish a Board of War as a new layer of command between him and Congress

In response to their efforts to keep General Washington in his seat as Commander in Chief, Conway and Gates tried to topple Lafayette by sending him on an expedition he had no choice but to accept, even if it was doomed to fail from the beginning. France was watching his every move and the offer to recapture "New France," or Canada, from the British by the French hero would cement the relationship between France and America and procure French aid for the American cause.

Furthermore, as a direct insult to Washington, they promoted Lafayette to commander in chief of the Northern Army of the United States. Equal in every way to Washington and independent from the general, he was to only take orders from the Board of War with his second in command being none other than Conway.

Lafayette was furious.

"I would never accept any command independent of the General! The title of aide de camp to Washington is much preferable to any other that might be offered to me," Lafayette raged, pacing back and forth in front of Washington and Hamilton.

"I would disagree but I respect your principles," Hamilton said.

"Lafayette, I urge you to accept the command. I may be hurt by their insult on my command, but even if you refuse, it will be given to someone else-"

"Probably Conway," Hamilton interrupted.

"-and I prefer it being for you rather than any one else," Washington finished.

Lafayette stopped pacing and crossed his arms. "I will obey your wishes, General, but I do so unwillingly." Lafayette said his farewells and returned to his own cabin to write to Congress. There were going to be some conditions.

To the Board of War

I am willing to accept the offer of the command offered to me, though I must have some conditions met. I am weary of this expedition into Canada and ask for details of the invasion plan, including the size of my force. I insist upon appointing my own officers, and I will only accept the command on the condition of remaining subordinate to General Washington, acting as an officer detached from him. The Board of War and Congress may issue me commands through Washinton and I will respond in kind.

Even though there was an obvious slap to Thomas Conway and Gates, President of the Congress, Henry Laurens and the Board of War had no choice but to accept or risk Lafayette's return to France, taking with him all possibility of French aid, he was fighting as a volunteer, after all. He received no pay and could leave at anytime he wished.

Lafayette then proceeded to appoint Johann de Kalb, a French officer who had traveled to America with him, as second in command above Conway, knowing that if he were to die in battle, Kalb would take command instead of Conway and remain loyal to Washington. He also appointed his aides, Gimat and La Colombe, making them officially American officers.

"I still have misgivings about this expedition to Canada," Lafayette confessed to Hamilton "Attacking the British forces in Canada in the midst of Winter cannot end well."

"Perhaps you should tell Gates of these misgivings," Hamilton suggested, "It was his plan, was it not?" 

  "General Schuyler, General Lincoln, and General Benedict Arnold all wrote, in expressive terms, that there was no possibility to begin now, an enterprise into Canada. I'm afraid he is plotting my doom, but I shall write him as well as Henry Laurens." He did just that. Gates insisted that attacking in the middle of winter would catch the British un prepared and undoubtedly lead to a victory. Still doubtful, Lafayette forwarded the letter to Henry Laurens and placed full responsibility on Gates should the invasion fail.

Lafayette was French, not stupid.

He left on February 3, expecting to arrive to a camp of three thousand men to command. What he found instead was no troops, no money to pay troops, no arms, no ammunition, or any other supplies he would be in need of. Furious and humiliated at the deception wrote to Hamilton and Washington expressing his feelings and a letter to Henry Laurens as well. The last one was not so friendly.

When he finally was provided with troops, they were in a state of chaos. Let's just say the invasion did not go well.

Lafayette's reputation barely salvaged and the Northern army left in the command of another, he returned to Washington at Valley Forge and Conway resigned his command. Not long after Lafayette's return, General Greene arrived with plentiful supplies that the army desperately needed. He also got to meet Steuben, an inspector general from Prussia.

  Of course, Lafayette's return to Valley Forge also meant he re-encountered Hamilton again.  

The Conway Cable collapsed, leaving Washington as the unquestioned Commander in Chief. But that didn't mean Charles Lee couldn't screw things up at Monmouth.