Chapter 8

I took my actions quickly. "..I love you!" No, I wasn't confessing to Haru, of course, I don't have the guts to yet. I was practicing confessing to Sou.

"Look at me like I'm your beloved Haru, and try it again!" Sou was now a tutor for me.

I looked at him and closed my eyes, imagining Haru standing in front of me at this very moment. When I opened my eyes, I saw him. "H-Ha-" I shook my head and tried again.

When I opened my eyes, I looked at Haru's eyes directly, "Haru.. I love you!" I shut my eyes and blurted out, "I know you and Mizutani-san are together, but I am sorry if I am selfish!" I opened my eyes and saw Haru again, but when I blinked a few times, he turned into Sou blushing heavily.

"You are doing great," he looked away, covering his face with a hand.

"Aww," I cooed, inching closer, "Is little Sou embarassed?" He shoved me away with a hand, ears and neck red.

"You.. don't like me.. do you?" I asked carefully.

Sou quickly denied it and announced he was leaving early. He left me alone; confused.

-

It's friday! Yay! I greeted a blushing Sou who ran away at the sight of me. I'm really starting to suspect if he likes me.. or..

I inspected myself, was anything wrong with me? Any sticky notes pasted on me or anything? I even asked Hina, and she confirmed there was nothing wrong with me. When I explained yesterday to her, she wiggled her eyebrows and laughed at herself.

I am going to confess to Haru before this Halloween, which is next Monday!

When'll I confess, you ask? I'll confess on... to.. -morrow's tomorrow! (Basically her description of Sunday.)

I spent my time thinking. Will I really be satisfied if I fight for Haru? Will I win or lose? Will Haru ever look at me as more than a friend?

Hina had this concerned look on her face when class was done, and I told her I was just thinking about some stuff and that she shouldn't worry too much. I fell asleep in class and went to my part-time job at a sweets café. I invited the rest to come eat, since it'd be on the house, and they happily accepted, Sou didn't avoid me, to my surprise.

"Does that mean we can continue practicing now?" I questioned, and he looked away, replying with an "I don't know.".

"Answer me truthfully, Sou," I cupped his cheek and made him face me, "You see me only as a friend, don't you?" His face burned.

"So what if I do?! You won't ever answer my feelings anyway!" Startled, I backed away, my chair making a screeching noise. The rest were also surprised at his sudden outburst. They, however, weren't quite surprised.

"We figured, we've seen how he changes when you're around, Aki," Asako said, sparing a mocking glance at Sou, face flushed red, "You're dense~." She spoke in a teasing tone. I gave Sou my unbelievable face, and I have to admit; I blushed slightly.

It's not everyday I get confessed to, since I'm not girly; those girls that boys get attracted to (Hina, for example.). Mizutani-san looked at me, probably thinking about what I'd say.

"I-I..," I stuttered on my words, eyes looking everywhere for an excuse. Suddenly, I saw a particular one person that I felt happy to see.

"Ch-Chika's here! I have to go, bye!" I abruptly stood up, grabbed my belongings, and left. When I greeted Chika, she greeted back. I glanced behind and saw Sou, burying his face in his hands.

I'm sorry for being selfish.

-

It continued on, when I met him walking on the streets. Once his eyes landed on me, he blushed and looked away, suddenly taking off into the busier street.

I ran after him, hoping to apologize and to talk to him. I was keeping a healthy distance from him, until the crowd intercepted and forced us apart. I pushed and tried to penetrate through the crowd, repeating sorry's and excuse me's. When I got through the crowd, Sou was already gone.

I was pulled into the alley. By Sou.

"Sou!" I fumbled with my fingers as he realized and let go, blushing.

"I'm sorry for leaving you that day, I was selfish and didn't think of your feelings," I said, "And-"

He shushed me with his fingers, he let out a painful smile, "I know, but don't reject me just yet. I'm going to chase after you until you give in, like you said, I'm not letting go of my first love."

I blushed slightly as he leaned in closer, but his lips didn't crash into mine, they ended up pecking my forehead. I nodded at his compassion.

"Now, are we gonna stay here forever or what?" I asked, standing up, "Treat me to some soft cream!" 

He grinned and followed with the act, "As you wish, your grace." 

We were then eating icecream in a parlor.  I dug in immediately after it was served. "So.. aren't you gonna confess to him tomorrow?" Sou asked, despite the incident earlier. He was still cheering me on, and I appreciated it very much.

"Oh," I looked up from my icecream, "I forgot." Sou scolded me for being such an airhead and I laughed. Nervously.

I swore to myself to confess tomorrow and I would do it, but just how? Haru could be with Mizutani-san! Sou noticed my concern and he piped up, "I'll take Asako and Shizuku out to hang out, then you can take your chance."

Chance. I've always liked that word, but do I really have a chance? If he was dating Mizutani-san?

I thanked Sou for today and left home, worried for tomorrow. I never stood a chance. Why am I so confident now?