Chapter 7

I looked up at the sky, it was a bright new day and I greeted Hina at the school gates, she told me, "I have committee stuff today, so you go hang out with Sasayan during break, alright?" I nodded, and we entered class together.

We passed notes around: comments and jokes on the lesson, doodles of our perspective of the teacher and more. We'd occasionally giggle out loud, but when we did, it was kept quiet. "I'm gonna go now, see you next class, Aki!" she waved and walked out, and so I went on my search for Sou.

I tried asking around, but no one knew, so I ended up at his usual hangout place with the rest of his other friends, but they told me, "I think he's with Yoshida and the others." A location popped out of my head, the table they'd usually sit at outside, I thanked them and went to find Sou.

I crept up on him in silence and it was a success. "You didn't finish your assignment, didn't you..," I imitated the teacher's voice, and Sou jumped up, shutting his eyes with his arms up.

"I'm sorry, sensei!" but when he opened an eye, he found me grinning cheekily. He complained and pinched my cheeks while I just laughed it off.

"But... you really didn't finish your assignment?" I asked. Sou went on rambling about excuses of why he didn't do his work. I then noticed Asako, Haru and Mizutani-san around the table, seated.

"Mind if I join?" I asked.

Asako shook her head and scooted over, "Nope, have a seat, Aki!" I sat opposite of Mizutani-san, who seemed to be observing me; I found that a bit creepy.. I mean, I know I'm pretty and all, but I don't date stalkers.. (And her arrogant side kicks in!)

"Anyways, we started dating today!" Haru exclaimed happily, pulling Mizutani-san closer.

My heart sank. Why? Why am I feeling this? "That's great! I knew it was gonna happen someday.." I kind of figured out, how they looked at each other..

"If you'll excuse me..," I said, and stood up abruptly.

"Aki..?" Sou called, his eyebrows crunched up, "What's wrong?"

"When Haru announced they were dating, I remembered that I need to sort out my feelings for my crush too.. that's all," I gave him a small smile while I lied. I averted his worried expression and walked away.

I didn't reach a long distance until Sou caught my wrist. "You're lying, Aki, you know that I know you well," he said, "What's wrong?"

"I wasn't lying. I really needed to sort out my feelings," I said, that was until I felt tears pouring from my eyes. Sou scrambled to fish a handkerchief from his pant pocket, and wiped off my tears.

He looked at me, concentrating, "You.. like Haru?" I looked surprised, then denied, shaking my head rapidly. Students now looked at us, whispering about how Sou made a girl cry. I backed away, I didn't want to ruin Souhei's reputation, then ran into the girl's toilet.

I.. didn't like Haru.. right?

-

I looked at my watch, it was time for club activities, hours had already passed, but my tears never stopped. I heard a knock on the door, and Hina's voice, "Aki? Are you in there? Open up!"

I knew well I couldn't shut her out, I unlocked the door and she ran in, locking the door after that. She embraced me. "It hurts, Hina... It hurts like a bitch!" I cried into her school uniform.

"What hurts, Aki? Who made you cry? Why? What happened?" she fired at me a train of questions.

"My heart... it hurts so badly.. I can't deny it now, Hina... I-I... Haru happened..," I said between my sobs. Hina gripped my shirt tighter.

"I understand, Aki.. I understand..," she said, combing her fingers through my untamed salmon pink hair from the crying, "But.. don't give up, Aki."

"Huh?"

"Don't give up. Don't give up on your first love so easily, Aki. I still haven't given up on Yamaguchi-kun, and you shouldn't too. I've been through this, crying does not solve anything. You have to confront him about your feelings, and if he rejects, Aki.." she continued, "If he rejects you, you try again. If his attention turns to you and not Mizutani-san.." her voice turned more shaky, "It's her loss for not fighting for him."

I wiped my tears with my hands, and looked up at her. My tears drying up, I said, "Thank you, Hina." I hugged her, and she just continued with her comforting gestures.

-

I told this to Sou, who had already figured out about my crush. "But.. you're only going to get hurt, Aki..," he tried to convince me to move on, but I was certain about what I would do.

"I've decided, Sou, that I would fight for my first love," I told him, "It's.. precious, you see. I'd regret it if I didn't try."

Sou sighed in exasperation and flailed his arms around, then looked at me, "Alright. This is safe with me, Aki."

I thanked him and then we began eating the dinner I prepared.

"So.. when'll you confess?" he asked, which made me think.

"I'll find a time I think is suitable," I replied, biting on my hamburger. He accepted the answer and continued eating too. At the end of the day, I waved him goodbye at the doorframe, and he left.

I slipped under my white sheets and had a peaceful night asleep.

-

The next day, I greeted Hina as always. Haru also dropped by before the classes started to ask if I was alright. I nodded and gave him a bright smile which he returned. He left just a few seconds before the teacher entered and started her daily lecture that my ears automatically blocked out. I found myself drawing little chibi characters on my notebook. (This is how you make teachers think you are jotting down notes!)

Sou came to hang out with me and Hina today, he then later confessed that he was worried about how I was doing. I gave him a pat on the back and told him I was fine, with a smile. It wasn't forced. I liked the idea of fighting for your first love; it showed your crush just how much you loved him, how you aren't going to back down until you tried your best, even if you cried every night and ripped yourself apart to shreds.

I was going to tell Mizutani-san today, about my challenge to her, about being her love rival; of course in secret. After school came quickly after I spent time in class plotting how I would talk to her.

"Mizutani-san!" I called as she was exiting the school, I was lucky Haru wasn't around, "May I talk to you in private?"

She followed me to the library. "I sorted out my feelings," I started and took a deep breath, "I am in love with Haru." She looked taken aback.

I looked down at my fiddling fingers, "I know I told you that you didn't have to worry about having me as your love rival, but I am not going to back down on my first love; and I will fight for him. And," I took another gulp, then looked at her seriously, "You do not have the right to decline this battle, if you accept defeat, that means you don't love him as much as I do!"

"I challenge you, Mizutani-san," I pointed a finger at her and said bluntly, "No hate on the winner, alright?"

She looked at me and smirked, "I accept the challenge."