IV. Hellfire and Damnation

Start from the beginning

The three Guards, astounded, chuckled as they watched Siege run away to escape Whiston.

"Even your horse cannot follow orders," said Peters, slowly inching forward.

Alex simply smiled. "Nae," she said, tightening her grip around Ralph's neck when he tried to move, "she simply knows where te go, see?"

As the three Guards stood in confusion, she hastily came to her toes to press closer to Ralph Everard to whisper, "I told ye I'm friends with yer sister. Ye tell yer Guard friends te move their arse out of here now."

He scoffed and made a horrified attempt to face her but she pressed the dagger a little closer against his side to keep him still. "We do not have bandit friends," he gritted out.

The Guards took another step forward and Alex dragged Ralph two more steps back.

"Surrender, bandit. Let us make this easy," Peters said.

Alex cursed under her breath. "I shouldna have helped that woman," she muttered. She tightened her arm around Ralph's neck. She knew that if she could not find a way out soon, she would grow tired for the man was quite tall. "And we should've stolen from all Everards when we had the chance!" she added with derision.

*****

Ralph frowned at the bandit's words.

"What woman?" he asked, curious.

Peters and his men took another step forward and Ralph groaned as the bandit pulled him two more steps back. It would not be long before they would reach the main entrance to the estate.

He darted his eyes to the butler and the footmen. His gaze told the servants not to run back to the estate. The last thing they needed was for Nicholas to find out about this dratted, useless incident.

The woman was outnumbered, her horse had abandoned her and she had naught but one dagger as a weapon, one that could be very fatal if used correctly, but could be avoided if Ralph found the perfect time to disarm her.

And he realized he could distract her by talking to her. "What woman?" he asked again. His eyes held Peters, telling the Guard to stay still and wait for his signal.

"The one I found dyin' in the bloody forest," the bandit hissed behind him. "She escaped from somewhere, see? And she spoke yer brother's name. She needed help, guv. That's why I'm here."

Ralph stiffened as the woman's words finally dawned on him.

"Which forest?"

"First, tell yer friends to go," she whispered behind him, pressing closer to his back.

Bloody hell, this woman was strong!

Ralph tried to shake his head but her arm merely tightened around him. "When did you find this woman?"

"Five days ago," she replied. "Now, make 'em go away, guv."

Ralph's jaw tightened. This woman could be lying. But then, she could also be telling the truth. And if she let Peters and his men take her, he might very well be letting go of the only chance he had of finding clues to where Sophia might be.

He met Peters' eyes. "Leave us," he said.

Peters shook his head. "No, we are not leaving without this bandit, Everard. We have not been tracking her for days to simply let her go. You know how rare a catch they are."

Ralph felt the bandit's arm tighten around his neck. Her dagger pressed closer.

"Take me inside," he whispered to her.