Chapter 11

"Ugh." I groan loudly from the floor.

I haven't danced this much in a year. My body isn't in shape like it used to be. We have been dancing for three hours straight with a few breaks in between. I have the moves completely memorized now. My calves feel like they are on fire. I think they might be.

Louis nudges me in the side with his foot. "Are you still alive?" He laughs.

"Barely." I mumble pressing my cheek into the cold wood floors. This feels so good.

Louis sits down on the floor next to me. "We have the rest of the day off. Want to go get some lunch?"

"Will you carry me to the locker rooms?" I whisper closing my eyes. I could fall asleep right now.

Louis laughs. "Sure." I hear him stand up. I roll over on my back. "You are very lazy."

"No, I'm just tired and sore. I haven't actually danced in a year." I open my eyes to see him standing above me.

"You're a dancer?" Louis reaches down for me.

I sit up to make it easier for him. "Kind of. I'm not a great dancer. I never took lessons. I taught myself after I gave up singing."

"You gave up singing?" Louis frowns down at me. "Why?"

My mouth opens slightly. Did I just say that out loud? "Um. I-" I shake my head and stand up. I push past Louis ignoring the pain in my legs.

"Carter?" Louis calls after me.

I ignore him and walk in the locker room. I can't believe I just said that. I'm so stupid. Now he is going to ask questions. No one knows about my dad except for Riley. I planned on keeping it that way.

I make my way over to Cher's bag. I grab my clothes out of it and head for a changing stall. I strip out of my dance clothes and pull on my other outfit. I hear one of the toilets flush. I walk back over to Cher's bag and stuff my clothes in it.

"There you are." Cher says already changed back. "Are you okay?" She grabs my shoulders and stares at my face.

I lift my hand to my face and feel my cheeks are wet. Great. I was crying.

"I'm fine." I smile at her. "I just had something in my eye." I lie making my nose twitch.

Cher narrows her eyes at me. "We'll talk about this back at the hotel." She finally says.

"Sure, Mom." I mumble heading back out of the locker room.

I burst out of the locker room to see Louis leaning against the wall. He looks up and rushes over to me. "Were you crying?"

"No. I had something in my eye." I lie again.

"You don't have to tell me, you know. I was just wondering why you gave up singing." Louis says.

I squeeze my eyes shut for a split second. "It's a long story." I mumble.

I really don't want to go into detail. I hate talking about my father. He doesn't even deserve that title. He was never truly there for me. He didn't care for me. He ruined my dream of wanting to become a singer. He hurt my mum.

"Carter?" Louis's voice snaps me from my thoughts.

I shake my head to clear my head. "I'm sorry. What did you say?"

"I asked if we were still up for lunch." Louis repeats.

I smile and nod. "Yeah. Let's go." I start walking towards the front of the gym. "How are we going to get there?"

"It's within walking distance." Louis holds the door open for me. Awh. What a gentleman.

"Thank you." I say. "Where's Niall? I figured he would want to eat."

Louis links arms with me as we step out in the cold. "He left as soon as they said we could." He laughs.

I laugh along with him. It's so strange how I feel so close to Louis. I haven't known him for that long. Yet here we are acting like best friends. It's insane, but I love it. It feels naturally.

I think Louis was right when he said that we would be best friends. I hope we both make it through. I would hate to say goodbye when I just met him. We seem to click so well.

••••

AUTHOR'S Note:

So, this chapter is rather short. It's better than nothing, though. I figured I would update this story and Not Your Average Cinderella tonight. I didn't update ODTMH though. Tomorrow for sure. :)