~1~

Summers POV

Ugh, when is the bell gonna ring? I let out a yawn as a kid named Sam presents a history project. Even though he's practically selling it all.

The teacher yells at him and he continues to bid off some interesting looking glasses. The bell ringing cuts him off and I quickly jump up. Carly, my adoptive mother, is finally buying me a car. She is really reluctant to do it but she's getting tired of driving me around.

"Hey Summers!" I stop mid run at the sound of my name. Turning around I see Trent and scowl, "Aww, don't give me that look beautiful."

"What do you want DeMarco."

He approaches me and 'pins' me in between his arms. "Nothing, I'm just letting you know you're invited to my party at the lake." He winks suggestively at me and I look past him seeing his posse.

"Aww, that's cute." I give his cheek two hard pats before ducking under his arms and making a b-line for the exit.

I run up and hop into Carly's red Chevrolet Corvette. She scowls at my appearance, "Let's hurry up and get this over with." I roll my eyes as we drive. I swear, the only reason Carly and Jason adopted me was for the monthly paycheck. We drive into a nice car dealer and I know for a fact she wasn't stopping here to buy me a car. I continue to look ahead seemingly bored as she pulled out of their parking lot and into a rundown car dealer's lot.

The guy told me to call him Uncle Bobby B and went on about how cars choose their owners. "A mythical bond between man and machine," as he worded it.

Carly began to talk prices and I decided to look around. I saw a modified 1967 Chevrolet Camaro, with faded paint, and mentally squealed. I ran up to it sliding my fingers gently over the hood. I swore I heard the shutter of an engine. I quickly climb in, the door closing on its own; I rub the seat and then the steering wheel. "Where have you been my whole life?" The radio suddenly turned on to a random song and I cringed at the shity rap music that played. "Oh no. If you are going to be my car we are so gonna have to fix your taste in music."

I changed it to 106.1, my go-to country station, and hum along to Fishin' In The Dark by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. "You and me go fishin' in the dark!.." I nod my head and sing looking around noticing that kid that was selling his grandpa's stuff here. I roll down the window, "How much?"

"Well... considering the semi-classic nature of the vehicle; with the slick wheels and custom paint job-"

"Hold up tiger, the paints faded."

"Ya, but it's custom."

"Custom faded?"

"Well, this is your first car I wouldn't expect you to understand." He looks up to Carly, "Five grand."

She shakes her head, "I'm not going above four."

Bobby bent back down, "Kid! Come on, get out the car."

"No! But you said cars pick their drivers!"

"Ya, well sometimes they pick out drivers with a cheap ass mom. Now get out the car." He then walks away to show Carly the shit car next to us.

"She's NOT my mother..." I take a peak under the wheel and an idea comes to mind, "You know I could totally hotwire this bad boy." I mumble. Carly yells at me to hurry causing me to scoff. I take in the interior and gently rub the dirt away from the steering wheel to reveal and square looking face. "You just keep getting cooler and cooler..." I feel my seat warm up as the radio turns the channel to a love song.

"And I swear by the moon and the stars in the sky I'll be there
I swear like the shadow that's by your side I'll be there"

I giggle enjoying the Camaro's quirks. "Summers Golden Rain get out of that car now!" I cringe at the use of my full name.