Chapter 18: Revival of TREC

Start from the beginning

"You're in #501? What a coincidence---I'm just a floor above yours, #601." Utsumi said.

"Why're you here, then?"

"The vending machine's broken upstairs, so I came down here. Anyway, I was about to contact you---I've found the third member. Care to join?"

"S-Sure."

Outside the main building, 8:40 PM

"It's too darn cold---why're we still standing here?" I asked, trembling.

"Relax, she'll be here any moment." Utsumi replied.

"She? Who, exactly, then?"

"You'll see---oh, there she is."

It's... Someone with glasses, someone... Tsujihara!? The class rep!?

"Her!? How in the world did you get her to agree?" I asked.

"I have my ways, Yoshida." He replied.

"Isn't that... The new student... Yoshito... Yoshi..."

"Yoshida."

"Well, after her defeat, she decided to stick, to learn more about me. Funny, right?"

"I-It's not funny! You're too strong, and I plan on becoming stronger than you, or anyone." She said.

"You, after all, accepted my offer without flinching. Thank you."

I was right---she did feel humiliated. But, I'm also somewhat here for the same reason---to find out about him, so I can't blame her.

"With the 3 of us, we can finally submit this letter of permission to revive the TREC."

"Are we going now? At this hour?"

"The principal is available 24/7," Tsujihara replied, "Some even say that she never sleeps. She's a rekishiya, after all."

The Principal's Office

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? IS THIS SOME SORT OF A JOKE!? REVIVING THE TREC? NO!" Principal Yuriko shouted.

"With all due respect, ma'am, you cannot judge our intentions as ill, based on past events tied to this club. We plan to make good use of the notes in the old club room, and try to come up with research of our own." Utsumi said.

"Are you really stupid, you insolent brat? Reviving---no, even mentioning that name itself is considered taboo. And I will never allow this to happen anyw--"

"This should be interesting. Let them do it, Principal Yuriko." Henry interrupted, while entering the office room.

"Henry? What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Henry? The founder!? Y-You're him? It's an honour, sir." Utsumi greeted him.

"You must be Utsumi Takashi. Pleased to meet you. And, you, young lady, are Tsujihara Fumika, I suppose." Henry said.

"Y-Yes, s-sir! Pleased to m-meet you." Tsujihara said, trembling.

"Henry, knock some sense into these maniac kids." Yuriko said.

"While what they're doing can be considered dangerous, and to an extent, disrespectful, it can also prove to be very useful. Ever since that day, no research club has quite been created like this one. There hasn't been any progress in research all over the world in past three decades. I suppose, we should give them a shot at this." Henry suggested.

"You have a point, Henry, but are you sure about this? About letting a few kids have access to all the notes created by the previous members? Those notes aren't a joke." She asked.

"There's a reason why we've kept them untouched---it's the club's property, and it specifically belongs to the previous members of TREC. Plus, those notes are too valuable to be destroyed, and too dangerous to be made public. Unless they come and claim it, we can't do anything about it. So, why not let them have them?" Henry said.

"What about you, Reizo? Should we?" She asked.

"Although it isn't my position to tell you what to do, I definitely think that they should be given a chance. They seem determined enough." Reizo replied.

"You too? Ugh, fine... But hear this---I need progress. If I find you lazing around even once, I'll disband the club. You hear me?" Yuriko said.

"Yes ma'am." We said in unison.

"I may have overreacted to this whole situation. I apologise. Also, I wanted to ask---are you Utsumi Takeda's son, by any chance?"

"Yes, ma'am." Utsumi replied.

She started smiling. Odd... A few minutes ago, she was fuming with anger. And what is that day? She talked about it after the entrance test, too.