Remnants of Governance

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I believe everything in the council halls was boxed up and moved to Records," Rosefarm's tone was no less dulcet as he thoughtfully rubbed his mouth. "I'm not sure at the state of organization—I'm understaffed as it is. The hall itself was meant to be renovated to headquarters for the enforcers, but the count had other ideas and so the force presence here is operating out of the old barracks."

Able smirked lazily. "Let me guess, he wants the force stationed at Adeptsby?"

Rosefarm only spread his hands wide in response.

"How much are these particularities contributing to the unrest in the region?"

"I really can't say," anything against the magistrate his eyes finished, "but Bors are Bors. We'll bring them to heel in time, but I'm afraid for now the city is a little chaotic. Anyway, I will write you a clearance note for the Records if you just give me a moment."

"Of course." Able should make a note to ask Reeve his take on not having his base of operations in this high, central city, whenever he saw him again.

Able insisted directions were enough and the mayor needn't trouble a staffer to show him the way, but then he found himself wandering dark hallways in search of signs of life. He finally did find an active staff room, gave them his note, and asked for the archives. What he got was a short, middle-aged woman who introduced herself only as Faith and, carrying a lantern, led him to a boarded-up meeting hall stuffed haphazardly with trunks and crates.

"Let's see, let's see..." She tapped her lips as she looked around. "I think it was these ones that came from the Council Offices." She set the lantern on the table and began rummaging through the top of one of the crates.

"So you're a librarian?" Able asked.

"Oh, goodness no!" Faith chuckled self-consciously. "I'm just a widow. My poor husband, God guide his soul, didn't leave me with much so when I heard they needed working girls up this way, well I thought I might more easily live working and renting a one-room than worrying about losing the house all the time, and maybe even I'd meet a nice soldier, yeah? But they keep getting these Bor girls in to do the drudgery, and they almost turned me away until they learned I could read."

"If you can read, why even work as a cleaner?"

Now she chuckled shyly. "Oh, well, I read serials and plays and the like, nothing important, I just like to spend my time frivolously. It's why I have no friends, I'm told." And she handed him a sheaf of paper. "Does this look like what you were looking for?"

Able took it and thumbed through the minutes from a council session in exact penmanship. "Yes! Yes, this is exactly it. Thank you so much."

She smiled and nodded. "Right then. I'm just going to go make up some labels for these boxes."

"Are you the one in charge of organizing the archives, then?" The idea made his blood run cold.

"Oh, that's right. I've been working out a system to try to keep track of all the things back here. Would you like to see my charts to see what else we have stored in this room?"

"Yes—yes please, and would you please let me help you with that?"

"Oh, uh..." She seemed taken aback. "Sure? That would be nice?"

He was probably being rude again so he tried a smile. "It's only that I'm a scholar, so well-kept records are my life-blood."

"Oh, I see." She gave a querulous smile of her own. "So you can show me a few tricks of the trade?"

"I'm here on a job." Able tried to be more patient and assuring. "I am not after yours."

"Oh, no, of course," she replied, no more at ease. "I am...going to get those charts."