Chapter 35

The desert's end could be seen in the distance. Tashby couldn't make out what came next, but she saw something green.

"Linor's getting closer," Cosmo pointed out. Tashby stared at the color, mentally asking herself if that was where Linor began. She hoped so. The rest of the group was probably waiting there.

She started walking at a faster pace. She was incredibly close to safety, to her new life. She'd hoped to find a new life when she entered the village, but she messed it up herself. Tashby couldn't afford to mess up again.

She looked around to see Cosmo catching up with her.

"Excited?" He asked, smiling.

"Of course," she answered, feeling sweat in her hair. She wished that it would be less hot in Linor. Although, she'd heard that it was a sunny country. Even the evenings in this desert were much hotter than in Trimi.

The patch of green was closer. Now she could see that it was grass with some major-looking buildings next to it. She stopped to see what it was.

"The border," Cosmo explained.

"How will we get through?"

"Say the truth, probably."

They kept walking. When Tashby was around a meter away from the grass patch, she looked out for a group of people and saw nobody.

"And where are the rest?"

"Searching for us, probably. We'll stay here and wait."

"What if they never come?" Tashby took a step onto the grass and felt it cool her feet down, tickling them.

"Then we'll look out for them. But we can't cross the border without them."

"It's sunset!"

"Then we'll sleep here. Or not sleep at all. Or one of us sleeps, the other one guards."

As they went silent, Tashby took a moment to appreciate that they were here. It was Linor, her aim. One more night, and she'd be there.

That was, if the rest were found. They would be, - they were stronger, and there were more of them.

But what if there were more than two groups? What if they were all scattered?