Chapter 30

A canyon stretched across the desert. Tashby blinked a few times when she saw it to make sure it was real.

"How are we going to cross it?" She asked Ernest.

"We won't. We'll go around it," he explained. She nodded, turning her head back at the picture. Walking near it seemed threatening. It was already past noon, and she was pretty tired. Even Kelly was wiping her forehead.

"Let's have a break!" She heard behind her. It was Kingsley, being louder that he'd ever been before. Tashby had gotten the impression that he was a quiet, modest person. For the whole trip, he hadn't spoken a word.

"Good idea," Archer supported, still walking alongside Cosmo. Willow ran forward.

"Careful, there's a canyon!" Ernest stopped. He paused right near the canyon, completely calm. Tashby assumed that near-death experiences were normal to such people.

But actual death probably wasn't.

She noticed Kingsley wiping his forehead.

"By the way, do we have any money?" He asked, looking up and scanning the bunch. Everyone stopped.

Ivy did, and Tashby knew it for sure. She sensed that the topic was about to be brought up; it had to be. But mentioning it herself would be too painful. In addition, the money could have been burnt down.

"I have taken some before the attack started," Ernest assured, opening his bag.

"Thank God," Kelly muttered quietly. Tashby peered into the canyon and needed to look back up again. She couldn't keep on her feet; her head buzzed.

The next moment she dared to look down and screamed. Ernest was falling. She reached her hand out, moaning. The rest ran up as Ernest was taken over by the darkness of the canyon.

"Are you there?" Kelly yelled.

"Yes, don't know how I survived!" He shouted back. "I'm at the very end!"

"Don't worry dude, I've also been in such situations!" Cosmo shouted mockingly.

"You have?" Tashby turned around in surprise.