Chapter 7

Now her main intention was to find Ivy. Then she could figure everything out and decide what to do next. To help herself think, she started wandering around the rather quiet and less populated streets of Karnie. She assumed that there were few of them, but even that would do.

Her feet ached. The noise still echoed inside her head. She tried to banish it, but it was like the madness of the main street continued inside her head, stuck. Tashby wondered if she could ever get away from it.

Ivy had to be in the crowd. Tashby wondered if she had noticed that she was alone. Ivy could be searching for her.

Tashby continued pacing down the street, looking down so she didn't have anything to distract her. Hearing a sound, she automatically jerked her head up. Someone had shouted an incomprehensible word. Then she stared at her feet again.

Then someone approached her. She could hear their footsteps next to herself. She looked right to meet the eyes of a black-haired boy with a messy hairstyle and a little dirt on his face.

"Also homeless?" He asked her.

Technically, she was homeless, or at least she was at risk of being. And she couldn't reveal her secret to anyone, much less a strange-looking boy, so it would be better if she agreed. Even though just the idea of talking to a homeless person made her a little scared.

"Yes."

"Alright, I'm Keaton."

"Um, Margaret," Tashby said the first thing that came into her mind.

"Weird name," Keaton raised an eyebrow. "But beautiful."

"Thanks."

"Something from Linor, right? They love such names."

Even if he was homeless, Tashby was getting the impression that he was educated.

"Yes. My father was from Linor," She said, getting filled with a sudden rush of confidence. She immediately regretted it afterwards.

"You're an orphan? Me too. Runaway?"

"A runaway from Neva," Tashby was surprised. She was lying, creating an entirely new identity, and it felt completely easy, as if it was a creative game. The concept made her horrified of herself.