Chapter 13

"Ivy!"

"Yes?" Ivy was at the table, seemingly doing nothing.

"I need to talk."

Ivy's moving office chair turned around.

"What is it?" She looked rather friendly, which made Tashby even more ashamed.

"I accidentally... Basically, the homeless guy, his name was Keaton... We went stealing together. We were caught and he flew away, and told me to do it too... I didn't. How could I?"

Ivy winced away, and a shocked spark flew across her eyes.

"Stay away from that boy," Ivy answered. "And don't do that anymore."

Tashby had understood that too well herself, but she still nodded and went back into her room. She looked outside the window, at the crowded street. It seemed like too much to handle. Life in Kernie had its difficulties.

She'd heard lots of good things about Neva, about how progressive it was. Those who were lucky enough to have been there spread the word around, and it came to Tashby quickly. Now, she flinched her hand away from the window sill at the thought of her home. Her previous life had been so peaceful, though boring and dull. Now she was allured by this life, but she still missed the small and ever so silent Trimi. But she couldn't return there. The new life wasn't any worse, she assured herself.

Tashby caught herself aimlessly pacing around the room as her mind was clear of the memories. She was bored now, a feeling she was used to, but one that she hadn't experienced in a while. Her possessions were modest; she remembered the hurry which she had packed her bags in.

Tomorrow. She wanted tomorrow to come. Then she'd leave again, and reach the city that she had dreamt of seeing. Technically, she'd also dreamt of seeing Kernie. But that experience was rather disappointing, and it had given her memories of guilt.

Tashby groaned, interrupting her mental chain. Her mind was buzzing again, not letting her get any rest.

And then she realized that she didn't want any rest.