s i s t e r

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

30 July 2017

Sunday morning Sutton chose to wear a long, flowy yellow dress with a pair of white sandal heels. Her dark hair was hanging in loose curls behind her back and she was wearing the bracelet that had her mother's name engraved on it. She was still creeped out by the note she got in the bathroom the previous night. What could her mother possibly be responsible for? What did Alice know? All of these things being unveiled bothered Sutton. Why was it happening now?

"Wow," Noah said, stepping up behind Sutton, "You look absolutely devine, tulip." She smiled at him through the mirror and saw that he had a pair of khaki shorts on and a white, sleeved shirt. He looked as handsome as always. They were going to the annual bake sale in town. Sutton also wanted to make a visit to the library. She didn't even know what she was supposed to be looking for. Hopefully she'd have it figured out by the time they got to town, which was only a forty minute drive.

She turned nervously towards Noah and gave him a hug, just wanting to be comforted for a while. All this drama was getting to her and she felt suffocated. She just wanted a few days off without Alice breathing down her neck but Ava was still missing and even though everybody practically hated her, they still needed to find her. Sutton had to figure out what to do about her mother's homicide and she needed to know who had written the fake report up. Maybe if she knew, she'd have a lead to who Alice was. She wanted to know what vendetta Alice had and why Sutton was involved in it. She realised that the case had more to do with her than Noah. Ava was just a decoy, a distraction to figuring out the real truth.

"You okay, tulip?" Noah asked, cupping her face with both of his hands.

She nodded, half-heartedly, "Stressed out I guess. I just want to put an end to this."

"And we will," Noah stated kissing her forehead, "We'll look at the library for anything you need to find."

They reached the beautiful, historian town of Venus. The entire place was littered with small shops, old buildings and creepy graveyards. It was truly magnificent being there. It brought you back to a time of peace and tranquility, much like the 60's. Sutton loved every minute of the sight-seeing. There were old abandoned theaters, haunted houses and weird looking people. The place was a ghost town. They directly went to the town sqaure where the bake sale was being held. Old plump ladies stood by tables, dressed with aprons and with men in peculiar tophats. They greeted the gang kindly as Eli bought a few donuts for herself. Music blasted from a conjoined speaker, the smooth jazz moving through the visitors limbs.

Something had caught Sutton's eye, it was a fortune telling lady sitting in an almost genie-like tent. Sutton pulled Noah along with her. She was intrigued by people of their work.

"I'm not waisting money on some phony lady," Noah said grumpily and shook his head. Sutton ignored him anyway and went into the tent.

"Hello young one, have you come for a reading?" the woman asked. Sutton nearly shrieked in suprise when she saw the woman had no eyes. They were replaced with white glass balls.

"Do you do tarrot reading?"

The woman nodded, "Of course my child. Sit down." Sutton complied as Noah stood by the door watching them. He was just a little bit curios.

The woman easily displayed dozens of cards in front of Sutton, "Pick three, my dearie. And think wisely before you choose."

Sutton carefully selected her three cards and placed them on the table. She gasped in suprise as to what she got.