e n c o u n t e r s

[Banner is made by the one and only @adelinarine . Thank you so much. 💜💜]

CHAPTER ONE

Mercury High wasn't known for bullying, on the contrary, they had a no bullying policy and if that wasn't enough, if you did try and hurt someone, you'd be expelled immediately. No warning. Sutton Clarke, saw herself as the minority that actually cared. She could open up any person in this school and see that person's pain. That was why she refrained from having any friends. Mercury was ignorant and Sutton Clarke cared.

Maybe she did care too much, or maybe she was just too careless when it came to being discreet. She could read any of those students like an open book - she had a knack for that - she would identify their pain, decipher it and without sparing another glance, she would know that person better than himself.

It made sense to her that even if those brainless, munching idiots ignored her entire existence, she would still care to analyze them. Maybe it made her feel better about herself. She wanted to fix everything and everyone. She hadn't always been like that, no, she hated the world and lashed out at it for something that wasn't in her hands to deal with.

Then, tragedy striked, maybe it was a miracle but her mother's death saved her life and made her turn to a greater purpose; to help those who didn't want any help. She had a need to fix things.

She hadn't actually tried out this greater purpose but she wasn't lashing out at the world anymore.

"Ms. Clarke, considering that you are nowhere near on earth, what are your views on Pride and Prejudice and Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth's relationship?" the teacher called out, some of the students turned in their seats to look at her, others snickered but she paid no mind.

Mr. Alexander was a force to be reckoned with as their English teacher and he was even a little sassy. But, as she studied even her advisors, she knew that he experienced much heartbreak after his wife left him for her scuba instructor. Nothing like infidelity to ruin an already broken marriage.

So, without contempt, she replied, "Well, I don't think much of the story except that Jane Austen had an in depth look at the world. How any man would struggle with his unwavering pride and how any woman would show prejudice to another she thinks poses as a threat. The book entirely is made of conscious yet sub-conscious thinking, it conflicts with the past, brings a future and accepts change with people. Based on the relationship between the two; they both love each other and both is too proud to admit their feelings instead they both resolve in contempt when they could just have been together from the start."

Maybe her words were personal and criticising but that was what she felt. People were exactly like that. They ought to have little less pride and more grace. Why did everyone have to complicate things? Why couldn't life just be black and white?

"Thank you, just pay more attention next time, Sutton."

"I was," she said before she could think. "It is you, sir, who are more oblivious to the attention we pay in class."

"I would advice you not to talk back to a teacher, Sutton."

"On what grounds do you stand, Mr. Alexander? I answered your question, correctly and better than you could explain it." she retorted, her mind leaving her mouth. She was sprouting off and she was swimming in dangerous waters but it felt liberating.

"I'm your teacher and I demand respect!" His shout was an act of impulsiveness and it shocked the class to a deadly silence but Sutton was different. Confrontation didn't scare her, it was the consequences that did. If she didn't stand up now, she would never have integrity but her dignity would be shattered.