t r o u b l e

CHAPTER THREE

On Wednesday morning, Sutton stood in front of her vanity mirror, staring at herself. She had a blue, polka dot sundress on with leather sandals. But, she wasn't aware of her looks, that's not why she was staring; she couldn't stop thinking about that red card. Who was Alice? She couldn't compare it to Noah's sister being missing, but the timing was perfect. He literally left her house and the note showed up. It burned at the back of her mind throughout the night. She kept dreaming about red notes, painted roses with blood and more morbid nightmare-stuff. This was getting exhausting. She just wanted a six year nap. 'Please, just show up,' she whispered to herself.

There was a knock at her bedroom door, "Come in," she called, grabbing her school bag from the window seat. Allan came in smiling with a plate of waffles.

"Morning, seashell, I brought you some food to go. You should give it to your friend as well." Allan said, pointing to her window.

She frowned in confusion and made her way over to the window, down, across the street was Noah Whitlock leaning against his Audi. He had his Aviators on and was staring at her house.

"How Twilight of him," Sutton mumbled, earning a laugh from her Dad.

"Should I chase him away?"

Sutton remembered the note, "No," she smiled. "It's okay. I'll get a lift to school with him."

Her Dad nodded as she grabbed her house key, her phone and a jersey to keep warm. She kissed him on the cheek, reached out to take the paper plate of waffles and kept a steady pace down the stairs and towards the glory of who Noah Whitlock was. He was a boy, she met at the 24/7 drug store on Eastwood Street. She had her period. He had bloody knuckles. They were friends. Sutton wanted to laugh. Of course, how ironic, in her senior year, fate would decide that she needed friends. Hilarious really.

"Morning, Sutton Clarke." Noah announced, grinning widely at the 5'8 girl. She had a permanent frown etched onto her face whenever he came across her. He was going to assume that it was meant for him.

Sutton bit back, "What are you doing here?" She handed him the plate of waffles and he greedily ate one.

"Giving you a lift," he said, matter-of-factly.

"Why?"

"We're friends, Sutton. That's what friends do."

"Why now? You had three years to talk to me. Why now?"

"Sutton," Noah started, "you are correct. I had three years but I wasn't oblivious to your exsistence. I knew who you were. I knew where you lived. Hell, I've known you since we were four years old. You fell off the face of the earth when your mother passed. You were the girl who ripped everything apart and now you're subtle, and quiet. You're hiding out. So, I'm sorry if it took so long, but you're not that approachable."

"I don't want to be stone cold anymore."

"You don't have to be."

Sutton's History lesson was boring. As in she already knew everything about Hitler. She had used her Summer, instead of drinking and partying it up, googling the heck out of Adolf Hitler. Now, the teacher was listing off all the facts she already knew. She hadn't told Noah about the note yet, she wanted too, but this morning was the wrong time. After what he said, they enjoyed the waffles on the way to school. Of course, most of the student body was shocked when she slipped out of his car but they resumed to their own lives when she ditched him. Nothing really kept anyone occupied long enough.