The Lying Game

Standing outside the door were two men and a woman. The men were dressed in blue FBI outfits, one of them clearly Dr. Matthew Mullins from the TV, his muscular body showing off under his uniform. The other was a young man with a tough expression. His lips were tight and his eyes determined. His hair was covered under a cap. The women, however, was dressed in a Pennsylvania PD uniform, with a notebook in hand.

"Good Morning. Are you Ms. Vanderwaal?" Dr. Mullins said, his eyes fixed on Glory.

"Yeah, I am Glory Vanderwaal."

"I am Matt Mullins, and this is my partner, Andrew Gray. And here is Miss Ciara. Anyways, call me Len. I hope if you can give us some time? We want some investigation about the murder of your foster father. Can you please co-operate?" He said with a taut leer. "Uh, yeah. definitely." Glory stuttered.

"Come in." Zac, who was besides her, said.
The five paddled inside the house into the lounge. Once inside, Glory felt she could not breathe.
The officers took their seats, and Zac mumbled an excuse and went away.
Glory was left all alone with them.

She gazed at the officers. What would they ask? Will she be able to get through it easily?

Matt, -Len, cleared his throat. "So, Miss. Vanderwaal, what do you think about your foster father's death?"

What did she think? He was gone, for good. He had never loved her. Never even cared. All he had ever wanted from her was grades, grades, grades... "I miss him. Even though he already abandoned me, I really, really want him back."

Glory gulped. What made her say this?

Damn it. Well, lies were supposed to be lavish, yeah?

"Okay, right. So where were you the night he was murdered?" Andrew Gray jumped in.

The night he was murdered. Where was she? Well, wasn't it Scarlet Hamilton's bedroom? And, well, there was a body lying under the bed.

She was with the killer that night. And definitely she wasn't going to accept any of it, right?

"Miss. Vanderwaal, you okay?"

Glory snapped out of that night at the mention. Ciara Hanna was staring at her with a grim, uneasy smile, clutching her pen at the note book in her hand.

"Uh, yeah." She stuttered.

"Well, we need an answer. You do have an alibi?"

She gulped harder. An alibi. Didn't suspects need an alibi? It meant she was a suspect.

Hah, she knew that already, didn't she?

She needed to stop acting stupid. Right now. For the sake of her friends, for Zac.

"I, -I was here at home-, um, I mean at my friends' place."

Glory noticed the officer's expressions shifting. "What were you doing here?" Ciara continued.

Didn't they know she had no other place to go, that she was a homeless miserly creature?

"I, um, did not have a home to live in, you people better know, right? Jazail was my friend from junior high, so she just agreed to help me and..."

"Alright, alright." The officers nodded. Glory let out a sigh of satisfaction. Well, that wasn't much of a lie now.

And, she hated lies.

But, they were white lies, weren't they? And white lies always worked, right? When Glory was young and her real Dad had been living, he had told her about white lies. He had explained how lying can actually be good and beneficial. And, now, she was lying to disguise her friends. That definitely was no sin, right?

"Okay, so, do you have anyone in mind who would have done it?" Andrew added in. This was the time. To blame. Blame anyone. But who? "Mrs. Hamilton." She pronounced.

What the hell did she just say?

She rigidly gazed at the officers. Ciara Hanna's face was open wide. Len was squinting. Andrew's eyebrows were raised in enormous arches.

"Why do you think that so?" Ciara inquired.

"I found her threatening Dad once. She was forcing him to divorce her. And he just wouldn't. So maybe she...you know, got rid of him." She spilled.

She just could not believe herself. Did white lies exceed to a limit as such?

"What? Well, that's something new. Are you sure about it?" Len asked.

Glory nodded. "Yeah. But, I want you not to tell anyone I told you this." She managed.

"Definitely. We'll keep it an unknown tip. Thanks a lot for the information, Miss. Vanderwaal. You being truthful is highly praised." Len continued. "If you have anything to tell, you can contact us anytime. Thanks again for your time."

And then they were gone.

She was such a bloody liar.