He looked up at you, his lips parting. He ended up shaking his head and clearing his throat he blinked and looked down for a moment. He didn't say a word though and you scoffed loudly, shaking your head. You looked at Sam and he gave you a sympathetic look upon seeing your own eyes glisten with unshed tears.

"Daddy?" Mary whispered and as soon as she took a step forward and closer to him you took hold of her hand and stopped her. Dean took notice and only clenched his fists, fighting his own feelings.

But he didn't say a word, not until-

"Dean?" it was Sam's voice, a hint of anger in it – especially at seeing your watery eyes and distressed look – but mostly guilt and sadness. Dean looked at his brother, giving him a half smile that showed how broken he really was.

"Sorry Sammy" he said in a rough voice "About everything." he added, shrugging tiredly before his eyes went to Mary "I didn't mean for it to happen this way." he whispered, still actually speaking to Sam.

"Dad?" Mary whispered, giving him a worried look and Dean sighed, running a hand down his face.

"I'm leaving, sweetheart." he breathed out and you could hear how his voice sounded full of regret.

"And where are you going?" she asked in an innocent voice, holding onto your jeans.

"I- I don't know, little one." he tried to offer her a smile, he didn't want her to realize how serious the situation really was "I haven't figured that out yet."

"Can I- can I come with you?" she asked full of hope and you saw how Dean's brows furrowed in heartbreak. The mere way her little childlike voice was asking him the question broke your own heart, you couldn't even imagine what he'd feel. She loved him too much, telling her that she was probably never going to see him again would possibly break her. And for that you hated him at the moment.

"I'm sorry, princess." he tried to give her a smile but it didn't even reach his eyes "You- you can't come with me."

"Not even for a little while?" she whispered and you shut your eyes, turning your head to the side. The mere way she asked those questions broke your heart into a milion pieces. That was what you wanted to avoid all along, your daughter being hurt. And just as you thought that Sam telling her the truth would make her entire world crumble down it wasn't him that brought about all this pain. It was actually the man that you swore would rather give his own life than make the little girl he raised as his own tear up.

"I'm sorry, princess. But you- you can't. You have to stay with mommy and-" he glanced at Sam, his mouth going dry as his eyes stinging with unshed tears "daddy at home." he spoke as softly as he could to the little girl.

"A-Alright." she nodded her small head "But- but-" she looked up at you, at Sam and then again at him 釘ut you are going to come back soon, right? We- we have that trip to-

"Mary" you said softly yet in a motherly tone that made her trail off. She looked up at you with a small pout and an apologetic look before looking down.

"I- I don't know if I'll make it, sweetheart." he said in a hoarse voice and you saw his eyes had begun getting red.

"And-" her voice was really low, almost like a squeak "And when are you coming back?" she asked and part of you really wanted to know the answer but the same part of you really feared to hear it.

"I- I-" his voice trembled as he forced his eyes away from Mary, only glancing at you for a second because the glare you had on seemed to be too much for him to handle.

He was forcing himself to be void, maybe he was already feeling numb from seeing the tears in both yours and Mary's eyes. He saw that even if you had a hard look on that you were hurting, you were just willing yourself to be angry at him instead of betrayed. Not that you could help it.