Chapter 4

"Mommy?"

"Yes sweetie?" you asked, swallowing the lump in your throat as you got up and walked towards her. For a moment you held your breath as you knelt in front of her.

She opened her mouth to say something but obviously decided against it and instead asked-

"Who is that?" and there it was, there was the question you found just as hard to answer. Obviously the only thing Dean did was keep her occupied upstairs as you imagined.

"He- uhm" you cleared your throat, glancing at Dean for a second and then at Sam "He's... family, sweetheart. He is family. Really close one actually-" you said and a big smile spread on her face. One thing Dean had taught her amongsteverything else was: Family is always important. And he had made sure she understood that family wasn't only blood relation.

"Family?" she asked with a small tilt of her head and you looked at Dean behind her who seemed to be holding his breath.

"Yeah baby." he breathed out, his voice more hoarse than you'd heard it before. No wonder he was struggling with keeping his emotions under control in such a situation.

"He's actually... real close family." of course he couldn't say it because having her call Sam her uncle would be worse than hearing her call Dean her father.

Before you could realize it and before you could stop her yourself she was running from your hands to Sam who seemed to be getting stiff as she aproached him. For a moment both you and Dean were quiet surprised with how open she suddenly was but then again even if she didn't know it... Sam was her father.

"Hi" she said still shyly as he extended her small hand "I'm- I'm Mary. I'm sorry I didn't say hi before." she said in a low voice, hugging her stuffed bee closer to herself as she looked up at Sam with an adorable smile. Sam let out a shaky breath as he looked from her to you with an almost awestruck but also panicked look on his face and you offered him a soft smile and encouraging nod.

"It's- It's ok princess." he giggled as he leaned forward so that he'd have a better look at her "I'm Sam, it's great meetingyou." he took her small hand in his and shook it with a small chuckle that made her giggle as well, their smiles were so much alike and they didn't even realize it.

"Wow Mary, you got a really firm grip there." he said with a dimpled smile and you couldn't help but feel your heart flutter.

"Thank you" she giggled as she rocked back and forth "Daddy taught me that." she giggled, looking at Dean and Sam's smile fluttered for a moment but he tried to cover it up "And you've got really pretty hair." she said with a grin and he chuckled.

"Really?" he seemed to relax at Mary surprisingly enough open up fast to him "Well thank you. My brother would always want to cut them for me but I just refused." he laughed and you bit your lower lip, glancing at Dean who had a soft smile on his lips.

"No!" she exclaimed in a small whine but laughed nonetheless "They are perfect!" she jumped as if to emphasize on the word and you and Sam laughed "Can I braid them some time Sam?" she asked enthusiastically and he nodded his head with a grin.

"Anytime you want, Mary." he breathed out, his eyes glistening slightly.

"Really? Thank you!" she giggled turning to you "Hear that mommy, Sam is going to let me braid his hair!" she grinned at you and you smiled.

"I always try to braid daddy's hair but it's too short." she mumbled with a small pout as she turned to Sam and you literally held your breath.

"I can see, but it's alright. What am I here for? Tell me Mary, what is that cute little animal you're holding?"