Chapter 2

"Sammy-" Dean's voice was thick as he stared at his younger brother, you on the other hand coul not take your eyes off the ground. A heavy weight was sitting on your chest. You had your arms wrapped around your waist to keep yourself from shaking. Although it was impossible.

"There are things that- you need to know." he breathed out in a low and rough voice. You shut your eyes for a moment, trying to keep the tears from slipping. How could any of those words be uttered. How could Dean or you ever tell him all that has happened in these past five years? How could you ever tell him that once you had won the war against Amara, in a way, she had actually granted Dean a wish that was both a blessing and a curse? Blessing because yes, deep down even if he didn't know it, he wanted to have a family with you and a curse because that required his brother to be dead?

It had shaken you to the core when you realized it all. But there was no changing that and quiet honestly you were more focused, back then, in helping Dean get past his guilt and self-loathing than anything else. There was nothing you could do to bring Sam back anyway.

Or so you thought back then.

"Th-things?" Sam asked in a low voice and you could swear every time you heard his voice, even if you weren't directly looking at him, you held your breath. He glanced at you, his eyes lingering on your form that was almost curled on the couch. Every fiber in his body screamed for him to gather you in his arms and not let you go ever again. It was close to five years for you and Sam could only imagine how hard it would have been for you. He almost found himself reaching out for you but held himself when Dean cleared his throat. He definitely had missed his brother too but the look that was on his face made Sam frown for a moment.

"Listen man we- we are both happy that you're back. Trust me I-" Dean's voice was shaky and laced with emotion "- You know I would have never wanted anything more." he breathed out and Sam smiled. He knew it had always been hard for Dean to express his feelings with words so even this little bit, he knew, meant everything for his brother.

"But-" he got a little serious, swallowing thickly "It's been four years, hell almost five. And things just... changed."

"Changed? As in what?" Sam blinked, his eyes casting on you that as it seemed for the first time were looking at him "(Y/n)?" he whispered, holding your gaze "Is- is everything alright?" he walked closer towards you.

"Is it- is it about our daughter?" he asked softly, his eyes welling up with tears.

You felt a pang in your chest, as if someone had just stabbed you. It had never been said out loud ever since you and Dean got together, even if it was constantly in your mind. But with Mary calling him dad, there was never any need to say it out loud- and quiet honestly none of you dared to. But now, Sam was here. Alive, very much alive, and uttering the words as if it was the most simple thing. Not knowing how hard it really was.

"Her name's Mary." you choked out as your eyed were locked with his "I- I named her Mary. After your mother." you whispered and saw how his eyes widened but soon filled with all sorts of emotions.

And gosh you hated it, but there was one more to come. One that would manage to overshadow any other kind of emotion.

You heard the car pull over and it all moved almost in a slow motion as Jody opened the door with the keys you had given her – just in case – and the little girl run in. You saw how Sam stiffened for a moment but the anticipation was written all over his face. Just as was the adoration when he saw the small person he helped create ran inside the house and shout the one thing he would have dreamed and longed for wherever he'd been all these years.

"Daddy!"

Although the moment the words left her lips Sam's smile vanished and you could see his entire world crumble down when she ran right into Dean's arms, the older Winchester giving an apologetic and hurt look to his younger brother.

But that would never be enough. Not anymore. Not now,