Chapter 7

"What is that?"

Dean's eyes remained on you for only a few seconds before casting down. He cleared his throat as he rubbed the back of his neck nervously. He chewed on his lower lip as he opened and closed his mouth, trying to find the right words to say at the moment. But he really found none.

"That- That is- I- I am going to-" his voice was barely above a whisper and you could hear and see the struggle crystal clear. Well, truth was you were struggling to understand- hell even try to give a reason to what was on the chair at the moment.

"Dean, what the hell is that?!" you didn't realize how your voice rose dangerously so, the scream almost making your throat hurt.

Dean closed his eyes for a moment before he finally opened them and looked up to meet your own eyes. And that was the moment your heart dropped to your stomach. A gasp left your lips, even if he said not a single word you knew he didn't have to. It was the one thing you feared the most once Sam came back and it was really happening. He didn't even open his mouth to speak, you only stared at each other. You mostly angry and him completely broken.

It was the pieces you thought you had put together with your words, actions and above all love, little by little before and a lot more after Sam's death. But here he was, maybe worse than before. And this time you feared there was nothing you could do because he wouldn't let you even try.

"Mommy?" a low childlike voice was heard, breaking the heavy silence that had fallen between you and the older Winchester.

Your head snapped to the direction, almost like a reflex and you let out a shaky breath when you saw your daughter stand on the doorway, green eyes almost wide as she stared up at the both of you. Fear was written all over her beautiful baby face and you hated yourself for that.

"Mary no." Sam breathed out, just now seemingly having caught up with her – no wonder she had ran off and he couldn't keep up with her "Sweetheart, leave mommy and uncle- daddy Dean alone." he corrected himself "They need to talk about things you-"

"Why are you arguing?" she asked with a small whimper as she pulled her hand from Sam's grasp and walked towards you.

You gave Sam a small smile and he sighed, nodding his head with an apologetic smile. He looked at his brother who immediately averted his eyes from the younger Winchester and Sam frowned.

"We're not arguing, princess." you knelt down "Just go with daddy Sam, please? We have a conversation here and we're not-"

"What's that daddy?" she asked softly as she glanced at Dean but obviously noticed the one thing that had made you raise your voice.

This time Dean struggled even more because this time he actually had to say it. He had to utter the words, he had to say it for Mary to understand and that would make it all the more real. It was something that he didn't want to do but at the same time had to go through with. It would have been easier if he didn't have to face you but now he actually did and on top of it he had to explain this to Mary.

"That's- Sweetheart, that is- it's a duffel bag." he breathed out the word, a little shakily you realized and you bit the inside of your cheek hard to keep yourself from snapping at him.

"Why- why do you have it?" she asked, frowning sadly as she fidgeted with her dress.

"Yeah Dean-" you said through gritted teeth "Why do you have it?" yes you were pissed at him, not just because he was leaving you but because he had not told you a single thing before you saw the bag. Sure he wasn't trying to hide it, obviously, but he had been hiding his feelings at Sam's return so that was just as bad. You'd say everything to each other, literally everything. You had a kind of relationship with the older Winchester that most people would usually only dream about but now... it seemed to be over. Or at least this seemed to be the beginning of the end.