Chapter Fourteen

Hercules pulled his jacket tighter around himself as he impatiently waited in front of the door of none other than Maria 'Reynolds'. Her name wasn't Reynolds of course, it was really Lewis, but everyone called her that because it was the last name of her ex-boyfriend. Their relationship ended quite poorly, Reynolds had beat her, so her friend Eliza called the cops. Surprisingly, he never went to prison, but he was known as the campus douchebag, and Maria regretted ever dating him, especially since everyone mocked her, using Reynolds' name as hers. Still, Hercules needed to talk to her, The Reynolds Pamphlet was stating Alexander had slept with her, so of course Hercules wanted to start by talking to her.

Maria opened the door in a red and quite revealing nightgown, her hair pulled up in a messy bun, curls pooling from it. "Mulligan? Haven't seen you in a while, how's it been-"

"Sorry Maria, but I'd rather skip the pleasantries," Maria raised an eyebrow at the comment, but leaned on the doorframe, willing to listen to what Hercules had to say. "I'm guessing you've read it, especially since it's about you-"

"I didn't sleep with Alex," she growled through clenched teeth. "I have a girlfriend who I would never dream of cheating on." Hercules knit his eyebrows in confusion. "Eliza Schuyler."

"Well, good for you I guess. But I know you didn't sleep with Alex, I was actually wondering if you happened to know who wrote the Reynolds Pamphlet," Maria shook her head, much to the disappointment of Hercules, who rubbed his temples. "God dammit," he muttered, staring at the ground.

"But if I were to take a guess, my money's on James," Maria said, crossing her arms.

"Madison?" Hercules asked, surprised that Maria would suggest such a thing. James had a reputation for being a soft tempered, quiet guy, and Hercules didn't know of any reason why he would do this.

"Herc, don't be a dimwit. You think meek little Madison could do that? I meant James Reynolds," she said flatly, shaking her head. "Now you didn't hear this from me, alright? But I heard Reynolds and Alex had a thing back in high school. And you know that blockhead can keep grudges. Talk to Alexander about it. Maybe he'll tell you something of use."

"Mar?" Hercules heard a kind voice ask, Eliza appearing soon after, leaning on Maria. "Oh hey Herc! How're things going with Laf? I heard you two had your anniversary not too long ago."

Hercules bit his lip, a lump forming in his throat. Eliza's question stung, almost like salt being poured on a wound. "I have to go, thanks for the info Maria. See you two later," he mumbled before rushing off. Eliza turned to Maria, an eyebrow raised.

"Did I say something wrong?"