Chapter 15 part 3

"Addieca wake up! It's time to wake up!' my eyes snapped open at the sound of my father's voice. He stood above me, smiling down on me. His blue eyes were vibrant and healthy, the way they were before he had gotten sick.

                "Daddy?" I stuttered out, my heart pounding hard against my chest. "Is that really you?"
My dad's face crinkled with laughter, the way it used to and he said, "Of course it's me dorky girl! Now hurry and get up, we have work to do."

I leapt to my feet and wrapped my arms around my dad's neck, pulling him into a tight hug.

               "Hey, what's this? Addieca are you okay?" my dad asked, his voice held a note of seriousness. I quickly blinked away the tears that had been forming in my eyes, "Nothing is wrong Dad. It's just... I had an awful nightmare. But I'm awake so it's fine." I said the last sentence mostly to myself. My dad gave me a weird look before a smile pulled to his face.

             "Alright well than let's get to work." And he motioned me to follow him and I obliged.

This isn't real.

I stopped in my tracks, the voice in my head repeated what it had whispered, This, isn't real. I watched as my dad disappear out our front door.

              Look around. This isn't real, your dad is dead, he died nearly a month ago. This is only a cruel nightmare. Whispered the voice; it sounded urgent, like it was trying to get it's point across as quickly as it could.

My heart nearly popped when I heard my father scream from outside.

                "Help me! Addieca, help me!" My father's voice was high pitched and pained. I heard the sound of metal on metal rubbing together before the sound of metal snapping and breaking echoed through the air. My dad's screams grew louder. I snapped out of my trans. I was out of the front door and into the front yard.

               "Addieca! Help me!" I heard my dad scream again and my head snapped in the direction of my father's voice. He was pinned under a huge metal beam; he was trying to hold up the beam, his face was turning red with strain.
His eyes were wide with terror, "Help me, Addieca!" he screamed when he saw me.

I took one step closer to him but I stopped to actually look at my father. The more I looked at him, the less he actually looked like my father. He couldn't – wasn't my father anymore, my father was dead and I was trapped in a horrible nightmare with no obvious way of getting out.

               "Addieca!" my attention snapped back to the man who I had thought was my father. His voice had changed from pleading to angry, he was still straining to hold the beam and his eyes held nothing but hate and anger. "Help me! Now! It's killing me!" he screeched and he struggled to hold it up.

          I stayed glued to the spot watching the scene play out. The beam pressing more of its weight onto the unfamiliar man, the man who called himself my father, screaming at me in pain, hate, and fear. He demanded, begged, screamed, cried for me to help him, but I just stood back; watching as the beam crushed the air from his lungs. It crushed him, like he was a bug. I felt no sadness, no tears pricked my eyes. I was numb. I felt nothing at all, no remorse, no nothing. I had watched a man die and I had done nothing to help him. Why hadn't I done anything to help?

            Because it's not real. All you have to do is open your eyes. The voice said louder.

I closed my eyes and willed myself to wake up. One moment the sun was beating down on my back and the next, I felt the cold metal table biting into my back. I inhaled deeply and my eyes flickered around the room frantically.

              "She's awake! She's awake!" I heard a woman say quickly. She was wearing white scrubs and her hair was pulled into a tight blonde bun. In my haze, I saw Aris, Orion, and Allister standing beside me, while Victor and the other subjects stood farther away from my table. Women and men in white lab coats and scrubs hurried around, talking to one another, their eyes glancing warily from me to each other.

               "Are you okay, Addieca?" Aris helped me sit up and I jerked away from him.
Cold tears dripped down my face; I quickly wiped them away, "Get away from me!" I yelled at all of them, my eyes scanned the whole room widely.

             Glaring at everyone, Aris, who had thought me to be the answer to whatever problem they were having, Allister and Orion, who had brought me here against my will, and all the workers, who had put me under without my knowledge. I, using all my strength, shoved myself off the table.

                 "You have to stay here." Said one of the nurses as she tried to push me back down on the table. I shoved her away as hard as I could, she stumbled back and into the hard table, scattering cold objects onto the ground.

            "Get away from me!" I screamed. I probably looked wild, red hair frizzed and everywhere, eyes searching around the room like a wild animal. Everyone stood around me, watching me with weary, uncertain eyes.

           "Addieca, maybe you should come sit back down, so the nurses can look you over." Allister said gently as he edged towards me, his hand up in surrender.

               "Sit down? Sit down! Like hell I'm going to sit down! You can kiss my ass if you think I'm going to sit down!" I hissed at him.
Allister snickered, "I'll do that later Red, but for now, come sit down." It sounded more like a command than an option.

          Two arms grabbed me around my shoulders and I jerked back; screaming, kicking, and cursing as I tried to get out of the person's arms.

           "I need a 25-gage needle and a 3cc syringe, with tranquilizer, ASAP!" said one of the male nurses as one of the nurses quickly did as he was asked.

           "Let go of me!" I screeched and I slammed my head into the man's face; he groaned but his grip around me didn't slacken. The nurse with the tranquilizer handed it to the man, who jerked my head to the right and jabbed the needle into my vein. The liquid that entered my body seemed to work instantly; my head filled with fog and my limbs felt like it was full of sand. I slumped against the man, and when I felt his grip slacken, I shoved away from him only to tumble to the ground. I tried to push myself up from the floor but my arms already felt like nothing, like my limbs were nonexistent.

         Hands grabbed my shoulders and pulled me up off the ground. I couldn't move my mouth to tell him to let me go. I slumped against him; my eyes were already starting to become unfocused. I couldn't focus of the people around me. I spasmed a little before I felt the tension in my body slackened before it was gone entirely. I was laid onto the hard ground with my vision slowly waning.

        "How did this happen?" Aris asked hotly, his face was turning red with every passing second.

            "I – I don't – I don't know! I swear, I don't know!" The doctor stuttered out, I could hear the fear in his voice as he stepped back away from Aris.

          "You don't know? How don't you know?" Aris's voice was growing louder and louder until it seemed to fill the whole room.

             The doctor stuttered before he stood still and an eerie quietness filled the room. The doctor stood straight up like he had a metal rob wielded to his spine. The doctor made a strange choking noise before he dropped to his knees and fell back onto his back, right beside my own useless shell of a person. A scream was caught in my throat when I saw the doctor's face; it was covered – caked with blood, his lips and tongue was turning blue and the whites of his eyes were turning red. He stared lifelessly back at me. Someone one around me gave a squeal of terror and they quickly moved away from the doctor. People backed away from Aris, who stepped over the doctor with a look of disgust on his face, before he stepped over to me. My eyes strained up to look at him; he looked down at me with rage and uncertainty.

  His eyes flickered up to Orion and Allister before speaking, "You two! Get him out of here. I'll handle her."
         I watched as Orion and Allister dragged the lifeless doctor away from the Testing room. Aris grabbed me under my shoulders and picked me up. I wanted to fight against him but I could barely keep my eyes open. I watched him until my eyes closed, concealing me into darkness.