Chapter 15 part 2

My eyes sprang open when something cold fell onto my cheek.
I was surrounded by a field of cold white mass. It blanketed the woods around me and the whiteness covered the trees. I realized what it was when I pushed myself up and the moment my skin came in contact with it, I jerked my hands away. It was freezing cold. Snow? It's snow! A cold wind shook through the trees and it bit into my flesh, my teeth chattered. Where am I? I thought to myself, getting to my feet. I sunk into the snow all the way up to my knees and a cry left my throat. I quickly pulled myself from the snow and clapped my arms around me; I could see my breath turn into mist.

        In the distance, I heard the barking of hungry dogs coming closer to me. I took a deep breath before clambering to my feet. Run! My mind screamed at me as the barking came closer and closer to me.

       I was running – sprinting through a dark snowy forest.
My lungs were burning and it felt like my knees were about to collapse beneath me. But I pushed myself to keep running, I had too. I had a terrible feeling that if I stopped that whatever I was running from would surely kill me. I ran barefoot through the snowy grounds, trying my best to not trip over the exposed tree roots.

           Keep running! Whatever you do don't stop and don't look back! My mind screamed at me to ignore the pain in my ribs and kept running. I slid to a stop in front of three very large, snow covered boulders blocked my path. In the distance the sounds of footsteps and barking dogs growing rapidly closer.

         What do I do? I panicked; the dogs were coming closer and I could hear the voices of men cheering out with glee. I looked up at the rocks and a tiny voice whispered for me to climb. I didn't need to be told twice; I dug my fingers into the hard ice and hauled myself on top of first boulder, before I yanked myself up to the next one and the next one before dropping down to the ground on the other side. I paused for a moment and waited; I waited until I heard the dogs' snarling growls erupt on the other side of the rocks and their narrow noses appeared near the top of the rock pile. My heart sped up and I sprinted away, fear making me run faster.

           This time the dogs were closer to me, I could feel their hot, smelly breathes on my ankles. I was running out of breath and I could feel myself becoming slower and the dogs were getting closer. Until one of the dogs gave a mighty leap and bit the back of my leg. I screamed as I fell to the ground, the other two dogs sunk their teeth into my arms and sides. The pain was unbearable, it felt like I was on fire, I could feel my blood draining out of me and staining the snow red. I became numb to the feeling of the dogs' teeth sinking and tearing into my flesh, until I couldn't feel them anymore. I could hear the men jeering and egging the dogs on and laughing to each other; they watched me as I was slowly dying on the ground.

            Sleep sounds really good right now. I thought through the haze in my head, I felt my eye lids slowly droop with sleep taking over. My mind screamed at me in an instant before my eyes could close completely, "Wake up, or you'll die for real!" That seemed to wake me up again and the moment my eyes snapped open and my eyes zeroed in on the dogs; I leapt to my feet, batting away the dogs; the men stopped laughing and the dogs stopped their attacks. They just stared at me, watched me, with dark evil eyes.

         One of the men with dark, matted hair all over his face and burning eyes, took a step towards me. His mouth opened to reveal yellowed and broken teeth and he hissed at me, "You're supposed to me dead!"

          I looked around me, I was still bleeding badly and the bite wounds still felt like they were on fire but I felt more alive than I felt dead.