I Told You I'd Be Back For The Wedding

Giovanna's POV

7 years later

So many things had happened since that day. I was always worried that it was just a dream. I didn't believe David at first. I thought that I was hallucinating. Even now, when I wake up next to him in our apartment, I don't believe it.

The months after I left David were filled with panic attacks and many nightmares. So when I went off to Boston, I wanted a fresh start. And it felt amazing. I tried forgetting about David and my time with him, but it was much harder than it seemed. But I was surviving. Even with me compressing all of my demons. I was going to college. I was living a normal life. And I wasn't always harassing myself about if David liked me the way I like him. It was relaxing, yes, but it didn't necessarily make my life better. I felt like there was a hole in my chest, especially after an attack or nightmare. Jesse wasn't always there, especially not for an attack, if I had anything to say about it. I knew I couldn't rely on him or David. But somehow in those months in Nebraska, I fell and began relying on David to comfort me. But I couldn't do that at college. I was a new person. I wouldn't rely on anyone.

That's what you said when Jesse left.

Well this time, it's different.

And that's what I told myself the moment I got to Boston. Jesse and I caught up after the long hours of driving. We had decided to drive to give ourselves the opportunity to catch up, and it worked well. I stayed away from the topic of David, even though I spent most of my time after Jesse left at David's house. Whenever he tried bringing the subject up, I did my best to shrug it off, and eventually he caught the hint. He told me about his girlfriend, Veronica, and all about college life. The idea of Jess having a girlfriend didn't even strike me in any way. In fact, I was happy for him. He seemed to really like her.

He made the transition into college life much easier than what it would've been. We hung out at this coffee shop that he worked in sometimes after class. Eventually I had gotten a job there too. The place was cozy and reminded me of the one from Friends. If only it were.

But the moment I heard David's voice, I thought that I was going crazy. I didn't think that it was actually him. I still remember nervously gripping my locket as he joked about something. I always reached for my locket whenever I got nervous. It became a habit of mine over the months.

Even when he followed me to my dorm room and met Brenda, I thought that it was all a dream. And when he said that he loved me, I thought that it was a cruel dream. It taunted me with something that I would never get. But I played along with it; just hoping maybe it was actually real. And damn, that kiss felt real. I was sure he could hear my heart beating faster with every second we kissed. Even when I was nervous as hell, I didn't reach for the locket. I reached for him. And I'm so glad I did. Because that moment started the domino affect that got me to where I am now.

*******

I woke up in an empty bed, smiling like an idiot and feeling nauseous like there's no tomorrow. Linda, Gina, and Melinda came running into my room holding everything I needed. Now it was time to get ready.

"Remind me again why I'm not using magic for this?" Melinda questioned as the girls did my hair.

"Getting her ready is all part of the fun. What pictures would we get if you used magic and she was ready in a second?" Linda replied.

"Ugh, humans take so long to get ready though," she whined.

"Then take the pictures while we do it!"

"Fine. But I still think my way is better."

"Of course," Linda replied.

Even though they weren't as closely related as sisters, they still acted like them. I laughed as Melinda pouted while taking the pictures.