Chemistry in Camp

David’s POV

“Valentine’s Day is overrated,” Giovanna said.

“It really is.”

We were hanging out in the library, bored out of our minds. Giovanna and I sat upside down in chairs across each other, while trying to toss a ball at the same time. It consumed time at the moment, but God it was mind numbing. We needed a conversation to save us.

“Honestly, I think Christmas is the most romantic holiday. Valentine’s Day is just so...”

“Over done?” I suggested.

“Yeah.”

“God I’m bored.”

“Me too.”

“Wanna go outside? It’s getting warmer out there.”

“Yeah sure. Just let me put on some actual clothes first.”

“I’ll meet you at the front door.”

“Okay.”

I already had jeans and a t-shirt on, so I took my time walking towards the door. I stopped entirely when I heard my phone ring.

“Hey.”

“Don’t hey me. Tell me the details! What did you get her? Did she like it? Are you planning to do something special with her? Did she get you anything?”

“Josh! No! None of that happened. I got her something, but I don’t know if I should give it to her. She even told me that she thinks Valentine’s Day is overrated.”

“So I’m guess she didn’t confess her secret undying love for you?”

“Ha ha, very funny.”

“Well what did you get her?”

“Something.” I mumbled.

“Care to elaborate?”

“I got her a necklace.”

“David! Please! I need details!”

“Alright, alright. It’s this locket.”

“Wow, you truly have a way with words. Can’t wait to read your first book.”

“I can’t really describe it, okay? I’ll send you a picture or something.”

“Please do. Your lack of words makes me even more curious.”

“Yeah well, I’ll ship it to you because I probably won’t even give it to her.”

“What? Why not?”

“It doesn’t make any sense. It’ll look like we’re a couple... It might scare her away.”

“Scare her away? Why?”

“It’s Valentine’s Day, and she might get the idea that I want to be with her.”

“Don’t you though?”

“Yeah...But that’s besides the point. She might not want to be with me.”

“Well, at least hint at it. You never know until you take that chance.”

“I don’t know anymore.”

“David! Grow a pair already! Give her the damn necklace and have fun! For fuck’s sake man, make a move!”

With that slap of courage I responded, “Okay, I’ll do it. Thanks, man.”

“No problem. Listen, I’ve got to go. Nick’s been planning something for us and I’ve got to get ready.”

“Talk to you later?”