Chapter 28

We walk out of the church, Scott and I are supporting a kid. Its Derek all right, but not the Derek that everyone is familiar with. This is the Derek I remember from when I was a kid. Stiles has turned up with everyone else. 

"Is that Derek?" 

I look at Malia but Stiles answers for me "Sorta" young Derek lifts his head to show his face, it's Derek but he looks about 15/16.

It's raining heavily as we pull up outside the animal clinic. Young Derek's unconscious in the front seat, I look at him again and notice his skin colour is pale. 

"Stiles do you have a blanket, he's cold"

Stiles nods. 

"Yeah it's in the back. Wait how can you tell you haven't even touched him?" 

"His skin colour is really pale, it's a sign of hyperthermia, it's a sign he's cold" I reply not taking my eyes off of young Derek. 

Scott hands me the blanket and I drape it over young Derek. We get out of the jeep and Scott throws young Derek over his shoulder. We go to Deaton and I help him clear the metal table, Scott places young Derek on the table. Deaton looks at young Derek and says, 

"Wow" 

I look at him. 

"Is that Wow as in I've seen this before and I know exactly what I'm doing kind of wow. That's the sort of wow we're hoping for" Stiles says. 

"I think you might be overestimating my abilities" Deaton tells him. 

I grab young Derek's hand, feeling the lack of warmth, 

"Guys we need to think of something quickly, he's getting colder" 

Deaton notices my worried face and takes young Derek's other hand and checks his pulse. 

"Do you think this is permanent?" Scott asks. 

Deaton shines a light in each of young Derek's eyes then replies, 

"I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is adequate. This is well beyond my experience" 

"So what do we do with him?" Lydia questions. 

"Until he wakes up, probably not much. Might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here." 

"You mean from Kate." Stiles says, 

Deaton turns to him. 

"If she's alive and she is who you say she is, she wouldn't be able to cross that gate." 

"Why would she want to do this to him?" 

"Knowing Kate, it's probably for a reason that won't be good for anyone but her." 

"And bad for everyone else" Stiles adds. 

"You know you guys should probably go home, he doesn't seem to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep. It's a school night. You all need to start taking care of your own lives again." Deaton advises. 

"Someone should stay with him" Scott says. 

I feel young Derek's grip on my hand tighten, 

"I'll stay, I don't have school and I work here." 

"So not okay with this." Stiles mutters. 

"Go, Derek did the same for me, remember?" 

"Text us if anything happens" Scott tells me. 

Scott pulls Stiles out and Lydia follows them. I look at young Derek, 

"Only Derek Hale would get into this mess." I state.