Chapter 11

Once I see the sun signalling that it's morning I get off of the roof and climb through the window. I look into the mirror and see red puffy eyes. Great! I walk downstairs and see my uncle sitting on the couch. I walk up to him and sit down next to him.

"I'm sorry about what I said to you last night. I just have a lot on my mind at the moment."

"It's okay. I know it's a lot to handle giving a statement about how your best friend supposedly murdered all those people." I nod. "Did you get any sleep at all last night? You look exhausted."

I shake my head.

"No, I sat on the roof all night trying to get my head straight."

He nods as I get up and go back upstairs.

Derek's not dead.

He can't be.

I get changed and walk to the hospital. I walk into the crossing home and see Jennifer, the woman who Derek told me was looking after his uncle.

"Um excuse me? I was wondering if I could see Peter Hale?"

She turns to see me.

"Are you a relative?"

"You could say that."

She must see the tiredness in my eyes, so she doesn't press further.

"Well, okay. He's on the third floor, you need to be patient with him. He hasn't responded in 6 years."

I nod and walk to the elevator. I jam my finger onto the third floor button. Once the elevator reaches the third floor I step out and walk to Peter's room. I open the door and see a wheelchair facing the window. Half of me is waiting for him to crack a joke or say something that would piss me off and then he'd laugh at it. But then the other part of me remembers he's not gonna do that. I walk over to the bed and sit down. I turn the wheelchair to face me. I'm not alarmed at the state he's in, he received third degree burns and has been a comatose for 6 years of his life.

"Hi Peter. I don't know if you'll remember me. It's been a while since we last saw each other. Anyway. It's Mackenzie. You used to call me Little Blue when I was younger." My voice cracks.

How the fuck could Kate have the guts to do this?

"Peter, someone killed Laura, your niece, Laura Hale. She's dead and I can't help thinking that it's my fault that everyone but you, Laura and Derek died in that fire. If I just... If I just told Derek my views on Kate sooner, then I feel like Talia, Cora, everyone. They'd still be here now."

I feel a tear run down my face. I place my hand on his.

"Peter, I need you to recover. You need to be strong. You need to recover for Derek. You're the only family he has left. I don't know what it's like to be a comatose as long as you have so I'm not going to pretend I know what you're going through. Cause I don't. I know it's hard though. I studied at a hospital practice, and comatose people were there. I can't imagine the amount of strength it must take to recover or even heal from this." I feel more tears.

I feel a presence behind me. I turn around and see Melissa.

"Hey honey. Jennifer told me you were in here."

I wipe away the tears that have fallen.

"I just wanted to talk to him. I know it's no use. That he won't respond. I just wanted to give it a try."
I look up at the ceiling.

"I feel like this was my fault."

"No it wasn't. What happened was a tragic accident."

"No, you don't know the whole story. Someone did this on purpose to kill his family. I felt weird around this person. Then a week before this happened I moved. If I didn't leave maybe at least some of the others would've survived. My best friend was in that fire. She had only just turned twelve. She would be seventeen now. The last thing I said to her was that I would always be there for her and that I would protect her. I never kept my promise and the guilt is killing me."