Chapter 26

Chapter 26~

We walked side by side on the sidewalk, enjoying the crisp evening air. We could hear the rustling of the leaves ever so softly in the background and the occasional cars driving by. The sun had disappeared behind a sheet of gray clouds, so despite it being spring, the weather was cool.

"I was going to ask Jessica out today," said Tyler. I looked at him weirdly. He sighed and ignored my judgmental face. "But... I missed my chance."

"Well you never had a chance with her to begin with," I scoffed.

He gave me a look that spoke louder than words. I shut my mouth. "She's my dream girl... She's so perfect.... So beautiful... Her personality is so different from any other girl I've ever met."

"Yes, she's a fine lady," I played along.

"If only Jeremy didn't make his move first.... She definitely would have accepted me."

Hold up.

"Umm, I don't think so," I said.

To this, he shot me a glare. "What would you know, pimple face?"

I mentally rolled my eyes. More than you, that's for sure.

Seemingly out of nowhere, a droplet of water fell onto my nose. Then another. And another. Soon it was pouring pain.

I screamed.

So did Tyler.

Shrieking, we ran as fast as out legs could carry us, struggling to find shelter.

"Where are we going?" I yelled.

"I don't know!" Yelled Tyler back at me.

"Then why the fuck are we running?"

"To get out of the goddamn rain! Now shut the hell u-"

"A tree!" I shouted, before hurrying over to the large plant. Tyler followed me. We gasped for breath as we hurried onto the patch of grass beneath the leaves, where we were shielded from the downpour.

"Jesus Christ," said Tyler, running his fingers through his wet hair. He attempted to shake off the water.

"It rained out of nowhere," I responded, disgusted. "I'm all wet."

Bzzzzt!

I looked at my phone. It was a message from Beth.

Beth: His name is Alex Anderson. Our grade

Alex Anderson...

I put the phone away, to find Tyler staring at me.

Creeper.

"What?" I asked.

"That phone...." He said, staring at my mobile device like it was the first one he's ever seen.

I swear this boy lives under a rock.

"It's called a phone honey," I shrugged.