Prologue

Please excuse my crappy writing skills and poor imagination. Hope you like my book anyway lol. Vote, comment, and follow please.

**

Prologue~

I bit down on my bottom lip, so hard that blood trickled down. The unpleasant taste of salt and metal infiltrated my mouth. I carefully ran my tongue over my lip to clean the fresh wound. My lip stung slightly, but I resisted the urge to wince.

After swallowing hard, I began in a trembling voice. "D-dad."

I saw him gently look up at me from his newspaper. "Yes?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"I have a request," I spoke softly, almost a whisper as I looked down at my shoes, to avoid having to look him in the eyes.

He studied me for a second with his all knowing cold blue eyes, before giving me a quick nod, asking for me to go on.

"I was thinking... May I please attend a normal high school for once?" I continue to look at my shoes, fidgeting with my fingers as I waited for his answer. The dreadful silence felt like forever, before he finally spoke again.

"Didn't we discuss this matter before already?" His graying brows knitted together, as he tilted his head to a side, questioning me.

"Y-yes, Father..." I stuttered.

What was I to do? He's not going to listen to me!

I took a quick moment to take a deep breath and gather up my courage.

"But," I began, louder this time. "I've never been to school with kids my age before... I was thinking that since I'm already 16, may I please attend a normal high school? I mean... I've never got to go to one, and I'm just_" I didn't finish, because the door behind me swung open, and a woman's voice cut through.

"I think that's a great idea, dear." It was my mother. I quickly spun around to face her. Her rich, vibrant blonde hair lightly fell onto her shoulders in soft waves, and her emerald eyes gleamed under the lighting. People say, I looked a lot like my mother. Same blonde hair, green eyes, and thin figure with curves in all the right places.

"Mother!" I cried.

She smiled at me, then turned to face my father. "Honey, I think it's a wonderful idea for our child to experience what it's like to live a normal high school life. After all, the more experience she has, the better." She shot me a wink.

My father sighed, as he ran his fingers through his dark brown hair, that was slowly fading to a gray in certain areas.

"I'll think about it," was all he said.

"I'll go under any conditions you give me!" I pleaded. "I'll even do whatever you ask of me. Just please, give me a chance!"

"I said, I'll think about it. Did you not hear me?" my father raised his voice, and his face scrunched up into a scowl. "Both of you, leave my office at once!"

I chewed on my bottom lip, and glared at him. I was so sick of this... I've had enough! He thinks he owns me or something... I had always obeyed every one of his orders, never second guessing his choices. I had absolutely no say in what happens in my life, and how I wish to live it...

"Father!" I hissed at him through gritted teeth. He looked at me with a cold stare free of any emotion. "Ever since the moment I was born, I've had no freedom." Tears were forming at the corners of my eyes, but I forced them back. There was no way I was going to show him my weak side. "It's not like I'm your puppy or something. It's not like you can just put me on a leash!"

"Watch your mouth, young lady," he growled. "That's not how you're supposed to speak to your father."

"You think you can just plan out every part of my life, and have me follow along with it! Well, let me tell you, I'm sick of this! I've had enough, and I'm so sick and tired of this!"

He seemed rather surprised by my sudden outburst. His eyes widened, and his jaw dropped down for a slight second before he regained his stern posture. He closed his mouth into a tight line, and readjusted his tie with one hand.

"Jessica!" hissed my mom. "Don't you dare speak with your father like that! Don't you have any manners? Apologize now!"

I ignored her, and continued where I left off with my father. "But even so, I followed along with it, and did everything you wanted me to, whether I liked it or not." By now, my vision was blurring due to the tears that were threatening to spill. "And now, I'm begging you for just one request... I'm hoping you would let me do something that I truly want to do... Just this once."

After finishing my long tearful speech, I turned my head and walked through the door, slamming it shut behind me, leaving my puzzled parents there in confusion.

I wiped at my tears with my long cotton sleeves, as I hurried down the stairs. My feet thumped gently against the steps.

Just why can't they understand? Why must I follow their every order? Can't I have freedom too?

Silent tears soon escalated into a session of intense bawling and nose blowing.

Sniffling, I walked into the kitchen, hoping to bury my sorrows in the warmth of food.

I was in the middle of clearing out an entire tub of strawberry ice cream, when I heard footsteps nearing me. Each step increased in volume, signaling the arrival of my parents.

I looked away, avoiding eye contact. "What do you want?" I asked, annoyed.

"Your mother and I have come to an agreement that we will allow you to attend a high school in Massachusetts..."

My eyes widened, and the corners of my lips curled up into a smile. Did I really just hear what I think I just heard?

"Really?" I asked, glancing up at him. He gave me a defeated nod. "Oh my god! I love you! You're the best dad in the world!"

"Don't get your hopes up." My smile faltered slightly. What did he mean by that? "There's a condition."

"What is it?"

"You must go undercover, as a nerd, under the name, Caroline Smith. You mustn't let anyone find out your true identity... Or else, you will be forced to quit school, and return at once. Am I understood?"

"Yes, Father." I couldn't help but smile like an utter idiot at this. He was actually letting me go! I ran over to him, tightly embracing his large stomach. Pulling him into a deep hug, I whispered under my breath with great happiness, "Thank you so much!"

After I pulled away from him, he handed me a stack of paper.

"What's this for?" I asked, glancing at them.

"Information regarding the school you'll be attending. Be sure to read them."

I smiled at him one more time, and quickly scanned over first page. In large, bold letters, it read at the very top, "Winterfield Academy."

I sighed of relief, and smiled.

My new life begins here...

**

It would mean the  world to me if you'd vote, comment, and follow me hehe.