Chapter 23

Chapter 23~

"Happy birthday to you!" I sang with Jeremy, with bright smiles plastered on our faces. "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Noah! Happy birthday to you!" Our baby Noah giggled, and excitedly clapped his tiny hands.

"Buff-day!" Mimicked the young child, with big bright eyes gleaming under the fiery light of lit candles. I gently stroked his soft brown curls with the tips of my fingers, carefully playing with the strands and twisting them around.

"Smile, Noah!" Yelled Jeremy, holding up his phone to take a picture. "You too Jess, let me see those pearly whites." I rolled my eyes, but smiled anyway as he took a few photos.

"Okay Noah, now blow out the candles," I told my son, gently tapping his small shoulder. He giggled a little, then inhaled deeply, puffing out his chubby cheeks. He then released the mouthful of air, dimming all three candles almost instantly. The room darkened.

"Good boy Noah," complimented Jeremy as he stroked Noah's back. "Happy birthday, kid!"

I grabbed a knife and began cutting the cake. I handed a slice to Noah, and he happily dug into it, dirtying up his face rather fast. Before long, he had chocolate frosting all over his nose, eyebrow, lips, cheek, and somehow even in his hair... Jeremy grunted at the sight.

I cut a slice for Jeremy, and another for myself. We ate in silence, savoring the rich creamy flavor of chocolate cake while watching over our son. He was playing with his food at the moment, slapping his fork against the frosting, making it fly in all directions.

I reached in my purse to pull out a present wrapped in colorful paper. I gave it to Noah. "Look what Mommy got you," I cooed gently. The boy snatched it in his minuscule hands, and began ripping the wrapping paper to shreds while I watched with amusement.

From the corner of my eye, I could feel Jeremy's presence nearing me. A gentle gust of cologne hit my nose as his large muscular build approached. The scent was all too familiar.

"Jessica," his deep husky voice spoke out to me, sending shivers down my spine. He rested a hand on my bare arm as he sat down next to me. The touch of skin to skin contact made my whole body tingle.

I adverted my attention away from Noah, to find myself staring into the dark chocolaty irises of the man I once loved.

"Jeremy," I whispered in a soft breath.

He picked up a strand of my hair and tucked it behind my ear. I twitched slightly, surprised by the sudden touch.

He then gently stroked my face, caressing my cheek with his large hand. Jeremy inched towards me, and leaned closer. My eyelids instinctively began to flutter shut, as I longed for his warmth, his touch. I wanted nothing more than to feel the soft lips of his on my own. The feeling was all too nostalgic, and seemed forever ago...

But I knew it was wrong.

I quickly stopped myself and pushed Jeremy away. He looked a little surprised. I looked away from his eyes, embarrassed. I could feel the heat rushing to my cheeks almost instantly.

"Oh... I'm... I'm sorry," mumbled Jeremy, sounding apologetic. "I... Uh... Shouldn't have done that, I'm sorry. I should've respected your feelings before I tried to kiss you."

"No..." I said. "No... It's not that."

"Gyaaah!" Noah's shriek interrupted us. We both turned to face him. He was playing with his new stuffed bunny I got for him. It seems that he finally got rid of the wrapper.