Erwin Smith (Attack on Titan)

Start from the beginning

"That's captain Erwin to you, Cadet."

"And that's Y/N L/N to you, Captain. Not a cadet but, ghoul."

+

"Okay, when I said I'll aid you I didn't mean I'd be playing errand boy Erwin." Y/N plopped the stack of papers on his desk collapsing into the seat next to his desk. "Overtime you've started getting increasingly lazy." His pen moved quickly across the paper but not as fast as his eyes which scanned each word and scrutinized every detail. "You've been working me like a dog Erwin! I'm a lady too! I'm tired!" Not once did he look up from his paper. "The way you ate through that Titan doesn't imply 'lady' to me. You had Levi gagging ." Y/N puffed out her cheeks and turned her head in protest. "He's inhaled all the cleaning supplies in the whole department, of course, he would be left gagging." Erwin shook his head. It's always been like this. There was never a dull moment with her. Her first expedition she left her manoeuvre gear on her horse and insisted on flying through the branches with her 'kagune'. Unreliable. The expedition after she entered a Titans' mouth and ripped right through its stomach. Idiocy. During training, she managed to pass by cutting clean through the intended targets but, not without breaking everything else. She was skilled and talented but, above all, she was the stupidest person he had ever met. He pinched the bridge of his nose. "You said you wanted company. I'm giving you company, so why do you insist on whining?" He finally looked up. Y/N groaned. "It's so boring at HQ~" There was no end to her griping. " What about Eren?" "Every day with that boy is just a screaming match between him and Jean." "Jean?" "It's just a screaming match between him and Eren." "Mikasa?" "I've been third wheeling all this week. I don't intend to third wheel today." "Armin?" "I hate books." "Hanji?" "Absolutely not! Last time she fed me sedatives!" "Bertholdt?" "Asshole." "Lev- Of course not." "Exactly! You are the only person I can tolerate today!"  This time it was his turn to groan. "Why must it be me?" Y/N tugged on his arm in a kid like a manner. "Because I'm bored and everyone else is boring! Let's spar or maybe train? Or we can argue about expedition routes?" "Let's eat lunch." Y/N gave him a bewildered look. "You're kidding. I can't eat the food anyway!" "You asked for it." Y/N sighed again. "Fine. I'll make do with some coffee."  She shrugged her shoulders and threw her hands up lazily. "Who knew you were such a sadist." She mumbled. "I heard that."

+

"Ya know Erwin? Life has been pretty fun with everyone around." The roof was dimly lit by the moon. It took its full form tonight its resemblance to close to the sun. Except it only left them with a feeling of tranquillity. Something the sun promised but, failed to do. They were a comfortable distance apart but, he still felt her warmth on the left side of his body. "It's not exactly what I call 'fun' but, it is less lonely." Y/N smiled. "Aww look at you getting all shy~" He laughed. "You really are shameless." "That's what everyone says!" She looked back up at the moon this time tracing the patterns hidden in the stars. Erwin decided to take this time to ask her about the life she lived way before any of them were in it. "What was it like?" He looked straight at her expecting a glance back but, her eyes were still trained on the sky above. The only thing he saw was the side of her face, illuminated by the light, made her look like paper and her eyes, mouth, and nose were sketched by a pen. Y/N smiled. "It wasn't like this but, for me, it was enough of a hell."  He kept his eyes on her this time turning his whole body. She continued.

"It was always running. It was always lonely. You meet people and you never realize happiness exists until you've met everyone. There was a boy with white hair and a white heart. He was really young and I remembered I felt bad for him. He was so much fun to have around and he was super helpful. He sadly forgot and one day I was his enemy and sadly I no longer felt bad for him anymore and only felt bad for myself, there was a young girl who lost everything but, gave anything, the young waitress who was more of a friend than I was to her, an old man who bossed me around but fed me every day, the old mans right-hand man who never expressed himself but, saw through others, four eyes who was nothing but a pest, the freak who was the most perverted person you would meet, and last but not least the mask maker who was probably even stupider than I was. Yeah, he was really stupid. He hurt a lot of people and I got angry at him real quickly but, I forgave him even quicker. Yet, he left me the quickest and he gave me everything I could've asked for except for himself. That was my family." Erwin still looked at her. She turned slightly and looked at him from the corners of her eyes. She exhaled. "I'll tell you what happened, calm down your eyes are gonna pop outta your head. The boy joined a team of hunters, the little girl grew up to be fine young women, the waitress married the boy. They all died in a raid one day. I never saw the boy after he left the cafe I worked at. The two girls were my best friends. The old man, his right-hand man, and four eyes went down with the cafe. The pervert was out numbered and the mask maker, well, I'm the living proof of the sacrifice he made that day. He died also."  Erwin turned to face the moon again. This time it was Y/N who was staring him down. "That's the applause I get for that long story?!" He stayed in the same position. "Remember the day you first came? Do you still wish to kill that girl you despised of so much?" Y/N grunted sticking out the edge of her tongue in deep thinking. "Some days I do, some days I don't?  You know that one time where I spilt coffee on some papers and Levi being the pompous bastard he is made me clean it up? Yeah, that was an instance-" "I'll stop you there. I hope you never decide to kill that girl." Y/N scrunched up her face.

"Deal?"

"Deal." They both now were facing the moon. Both with the complexion of paper and both with the expression made by an artist with a pen and no intent.

+

Erwin jumped on the horse. Levi began to direct his squad towards their escape route.

"Y/N, this is a bit much. You seem to be having a harder time with this Titan than any of the other one's I've seen! I think you should retreat with us!"  He put a hand on her shoulder pleading for her to come back with him. She shook her head furiously. "No, can do Erwin! You know that thing will follow if everyone retreats." He looked at her dead in the eye. "I told you before I do not wish for you to kill that girl." Y/N gave him a cheeky smile and pressed her fist firmly into her chest saluting the man. "You really get angry with me quickly, you forgive me the quickest. However today- Go boy go!"  She patted the horses' side forcing them both to leave. Erwin pulled the reigns of his horse and hastily turned back. Levi stopped him. "You trust her right?" Erwin nodded with slight hesitation. She was trustworthy but, today was not the day for her unreliable antics. "Then, do what she told you to do." He took one glance ahead and back to the trail. He and Levi reunited with Levi's squad each taking one glance back.

"Today, you need to be quickest to leave." Y/N ran up the first tree and jumped.

+

They all stood lined up in an uneasy silence. Their postures were rigid as they fixed their eyes on the fog. Erwin stood in the middle looking below to see if the fog contained a shadow of the women they left behind. The sound of a horse stampeding broke their concentration. Levi and Eren jumped down the gate the sound of their gear unwinding. Levi smirked fully expecting Y/N's smug face. "Came back to take all the credit I see-" Levi stopped. There was no girl on the horse. He looked back up at everyone's gaze and swallowed hard. Eren made no effort to respond to Erwin. "Levi! Is the Cadet unharmed? Eren?!" The silence was deafening. It cut through all of them. Eren shook his head his eyes trained on the ground. Erwin's face fell his expression shadowed from everyone else. Levi and Eren made a quick return ignoring the faces of those who were waiting to question them. They faced the fog once again. "Erwin if we-" "Back to headquarters." Levi looked up. "Erwin-" "Back to HQ." Levi bit his tongue and nodded placing a hand on Eren's back returning a look that silenced him. Hanji removed her goggles and wiped her eyes aggressively. With grim faces, they issued a roll call. Erwin slowly called out the names as he internally dreaded to call one in particular. "Cadet Y/N L/N?" The silence gutted his stomach. He looked down and nodded motioning Bertholdt to close the gate with Reiner. They both nodded both a little hesitant to pull the handles. Everyone watched painfully as the gate closed shut. Erwin faced the side avoiding the saddened expressions on each cadet and the taunting gaze of the empty fog.

"Damnit!"

Everyone ran towards the edge versus Erwin who was about ready to jump down when he heard that oh so, familiar voice. Their gazes turned upwards when a body jumped above them landing clumsily behind them. A red tail still remained glossy in the dull weather. The back of her, a perfect picture of the nine tailed fox they only heard in legends however, that tail was no gift or sign of a divinity. It had the appearance of tentacles but, felt like a blade against the skin. "I would've worn my gear if I'd known you would close the gate." Y/N mumbled. Erwin was the first to meet her eyes. "Erwin!"

"Ye-Yes?" He stumbled over his words as he bent down to help her to her feet.

"I intend never to kill that girl either!" A smile broke onto his face.