Repeating History

Start from the beginning

"You two are free to go," she mumbled, staring us down. "But have no right to discuss the questions we asked you here today. Do I make myself clear?"

"Crystal." Stefan finally spoke to someone other than me. His voice was ragged, both of us ready to leave a station as frigid as ice.

The feeling of all eyes on me was something I was growing accustomed to. The school day having dragged on, class by class, minute by minute. I had a lot of work to catch up on, skipping the day before Halloween and spending the next few wrapped up in my own affairs.

It was Friday by the time I actually decided to attend, getting enough grief from guidance to carry me through the rest of the year. The rest of the day was spend getting sympathy questions from teachers and a shocking surprise by the time I hit history.

They seemed to finally find a replacement for Mr. Tanner. We had all been watching instructional videos on various events in history since he passed away. All of us kept our focus on it, but it really had turned into study hall.

The guy who stood in front of me was young, his teaching style passionate as he lectured the whole class about trade. Everyone seemed interested enough, Elena stealing a few wary glances at me through the whole class. It was sympathy. Guilt. A look both of us knew all too well.

A bell finally rung and people started racing towards the door, I gathered my own things, happy get out of this place. Elena was lingering by the door, her eyebrows knit together as the new guy, Mr. Saltzman, called my name.

"Rowan Pierce, right?" He asked, sticking out his hand. I gave him a smile, placing my palm in his. "I'm sorry I haven't gotten a chance to meet with you yet. I actually wanted to apologize for the whole entire situation."

He trailed off, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly before speaking once more. "I just wanted to say, you're excused from the last few assignments that you missed. I know it's not much but-"

"Thank you, Mr. Saltzman." I cut him off before he kept rambling. He looked thankful for the rescue. "I really appreciate it."

I stared to step away, running right into Elena. She let out a small breath of air, mumbling something about being clumsy. I didn't even realize she was still standing there. Both of us walked out of the classroom into an empty hallway.

Mystic Falls High School seemed to empty quickly on Friday afternoons. It left me awkwardly walking in silence with a Gilbert on my tail. She wanted to say something, but I kept my fingers on my locker, clicking in the combination.

"Rowan, please talk to me." She mumbled, leaning against the locker to the side of me.

"About what?" I said in a soft voice, moving to the next number before hearing a dull click. I shoved my books in the small area, knowing I would bother with homework later. I still didn't look at Elena.

"How are you?"

"Fantastic." I closed the locker roughly, turning to face her as I adjusted my bag on my shoulder again. It was lighter now. "Elena, you don't have to talk to me just because Lexi was killed. Alright? I get it. You need space-"

"I'm talking to you because she asked me to," Elena cut me off like I did with the new history teacher. This time I wasn't so thankful.

"What?" I whispered, knitting my eyebrows together.

"Before..." She trailed off a bit "She kind of talked some sense into me. Told me that even if I was introduced into your world very brutally, that you would never let anything happen to me. You or Stefan."

"Oh," I laughed slightly, "So Lexi made me sound like some type of a guard dog?"

"No," She cracked a smile, eyes crinkling at the edges. "I mean, she loves you Rowan. And I know I've been distant, and scared- and overall just awful since the day of the car wash. It's just... I'm sorry, for shutting you out. I was too quick to judge."