Chapter Sixteen: The sketchbook (Chloe x Nathaniel)

Start from the beginning

"Oh nothing" I chirp, hiding Nathaniel's notebook that I had just got finished looking through all the pages under the bedsheets.

"As I was saying... so you know the story about the princess cursed by a magical spell... blah blah blah" Sabrina blabbed. She didn't even notice that I zoned out after she came through the door.

My mind is occupied by Nathaniel, I wish I knew why.

Her constant blabbering is replaced by the sound of my phone ringing.

I toss my feet off my bed to grab my phone placed on my desk, I check the caller ID and to my surprise it's Nathaniel.

I've been feeling really off lately, whenever I think about him I get this weird bubbly feeling in my stomach. My heart starts pounding fast and I get incredibly nervous, maybe I'm sick.

The phone almost drops out of my hands as I race toward it in an effort to grab it.

I finally grasp it and swipe the answer call button.

"Hello?" I ask, trying to make my voice sound confident and hoping it doesn't come off as nervous or shy.

"Um Chloe, this is Nathaniel... Is my sketchpad with you?" he sounds out of breath, he probably just got done looking for it only to realize he left it.

"Yeah... I thought you left it so I brought it home with me to return it back to you tomorrow" I say, tucking the sketchbook farther in my bed.

"Please don't open it..." he quickly stammers. Too late for that...

"I already saw it" I reply hiding all emotion from my voice, trying hard not to give anything away. The fact I was happy and had an odd fluttering feeling in my chest because he's the first to ever show an interest in me.

Of course, there is other people who have asked me out but I never thought twice about them. They were just blinded by my beauty.

I'm not about that, I have learned that I don't want people to love me for my beauty. I want them to like me for me.

"I'm sorry" he apologized.

"I'm happy about it" I unconsciously smiled ignoring the pacing Sabrina still ranting about something.

"Why?" his voice is clear confusion.

Sabrina finally notices I'm not listening and waves her hand trying to get my attention.

"I'll talk to you tomorrow... bye..." I ended the call and laid down, beckoning for Sabrina to continue so she would hurry up and leave.

I checked the sketchpad once again, I couldn't help but smile at his affection.

Soon after I dose off, Sabrina has to go home for dinner.

I soon fall into a quick slumber anticipating the morning.

***

"Here you go" I handed Nathaniel his sketchpad back, he took it from me softly keeping eye contact.

I may have taken photos of the sketches and set it as my wallpaper for my phone...

I broke our eye contact by sitting down in my assigned seat, "T-thanks" he placed his sketchpad in his bag.

After what feels like hours of the teacher's continuous blabbering Nathaniel breaks the silence.

"So... why are you happy about it?" he asks before nervously scratching the back of his head.

"I don't know... I guess because it's the first time someone has drawn a picture of me" I smiled at him. He lightly blushed looking away to avoid my piercing eyes.

"You were easy to draw... yet the outcome is beautiful" he mumbles, mostly to himself. What does he mean beautiful? I look at him, not hiding my full-on blush I can feel heating my cheeks.

"Oh..." he hands me a drawing, not the one on the sketchpad but on pink paper. It was me in my usual attire sitting in a meadow of roses, my favorite flowers. It's amazing.

"It's beautiful, thank you" I compliment his drawing with full honesty.

He smiles at me moving his glare from my eyes to my lips, the sudden awkwardness is very vibrant.

The classroom bell rings as dismissal and everybody scurries out of their seats and rushes out the door.

I stay back and walk with Nathaniel out the doors.

"So..." he started, "I was thinking u-uh so maybe some time w-we could u-uh do something" he quickly said, obvious fear of rejection.

When he sees my questioning look he rambles on "Or n-not, y-you know t-that's fine."

"Are you asking me out" I smirk keeping the eye contact,

"U-uh I mean like not if you don't w- want to or li- yes" he sighs keeping his head down.

I use the palm of my hand to lift his face to mine before smiling,

"I'd love too"