Chapter 23: Marichat

I guess I should have expected this, after all, I'm the one to blame.

He's said it countless times. I'm "just a friend". How could I be so stupid?

What did I expect would come from confessing my feelings to Adrien? Did I think that we'd be able to run away together and own a hamster? Well, maybe. 

Of course, he only sees me as just a friend, he's stated it before. Alya just had to convince me to finally confront Adrien about my feelings since we graduated a couple of weeks ago. Of course, it didn't go as planned.

I planned on going through with it, I really did, but when I arrived at the park to meet Adrien and confess my feelings, my heart was distraught with a different sight. Adrien was kissing Kagami.

I was too late.

So, I suppose the only thing left that I could really do was go home, where I am now, talking to myself apparently.

"Marinette?"

"Yes Tikki?" I sigh, finishing taking down the posters of Adrien from my board.

It's clear skies outside, which usually seems to lift my mood - but it doesn't help the weight I feel drooping my shoulders. I climb my ladder to the roof top in hopes the fresh air would help clear my mind, it didn't.

"Kwami's are not able to understand heartbreak as such in the emotional matter you humans do, but I don't believe moping around will be any help towards telling Adrien how you feel" Tikki says flying on the ledge next to me as I stare up at the dark city with sadness in my eyes.

"I'm not going to tell him how I feel Tikki, you saw him, he likes Kagami, not me." I calmly say, blinking quickly in order to not let any tears fall down my cheeks and show Tikki I'm not as okay as I let on, but she seems to know against my better wishes.

"You never know Marinette. You should talk to him, and be honest." Tikki comforts whilst bringing Marinette a box of tissues for the tears she was obviously holding in.

It was the comforting voice of her friend that finally smashed her guards letting her break down in a full sobbing mess, Tikki simply sat on Marinette's shoulder as an ear for her to have, someone she could trust to vent to.

Marinette cried for what seemed like hours but in reality, was less, only thing temporarily distracting her from her sadness being the fear of seeing a dark butterfly approach her towards her hand-bag.

She screamed in horror climbing on top of her rooftop decor trying to dodge the Akuma, trying to think positive thoughts in order to not give in to Hawkmoths attempts to fetch my miraculous - she was soon cornered on her balcony trapped by the wall of her home and the edge of the railing.

Closing her eyes, she accepts her fate in a moment of weakness, only to be completely covered by a warm body with a loud yell, "Cataclysm!" she hears. Chat. 

Marinette opens her eyes to see Chat Noir with his fist closed in front of her destroying the Akuma and saving her life, again. How could she not see it? The only friend who's been by her side the whole time, constantly saving her life. 

How could she be mad at Adrien for not feeling the same towards her when she had constantly rejected Chat Noir not giving a second glance to the loving kitty and partner she had.

"Are you okay Marinette? you almost got akumatized!" Chat exclaims worriedly whilst examining Marinette's puffy eyes and tear-stained cheeks, wanting to comfort her but not wanting to reveal his identity - he settles for surrounding her in a tight warm hug, letting her breathe in his scent in attempts to calm her sobs.

"I don't know what happened Marinette, but it's going to be okay I promise you." He exclaims whilst brushing back her hair out of her tear ridden face. They stay like that for what seems like hours to a tired Marinette, till the midnight sky turns bright from the sunrise, they had fallen asleep in that position. Him cradling Marinette as she lays her head on his chest, laying down on the floor of her balcony. 

When Marinette woke up, she noticed she was alone, of course Chat Noir had de-transformed and had left at some point soon after she fell asleep.

The emptiness that hollowed her body at the absence of his warmth surprised her to say the least, she didn't know she was capable of feeling someone's absence like this.

Maybe she should actually give in to the flirtatious charm of Chat Noir, maybe she could be happy with him.

Her heart throbs as she remembers her moment at the park the previous day, with a quick sigh and a determined mindset she goes downstairs to help her mom in the bakery.

Later that night she heads up to the balcony with a determined mindset to keep her head out for a familiar looking kitty. She had a plan, she was going to give the feline a chance, what did she have to lose? Sure, he had been in love with her alter-ego, but he had made it abundantly clear a couple weeks ago that he had given up on trying to convince Ladybug to fall in love with her.

"What are you thinking about princess?" he purrs, shocking Marinette by his presence. "N-nothing" she stutters scratching the back of her head trying to regain a solid train of thought.

There was something about how close he was to her that was unnerving, yet exciting? 

They simply looked at each other then back up at the sky, enjoying the mere presence of each other while watching people pass by in cars and on bikes. 

"Hey kitty?"

"Yes purrr-incess?"

"Can I try something?" Marinette shyly asked, part of her wanting to crawl back to her bedroom like a spider and forget that she even said anything.

"Sure...?" he hesitated, responding suspiciously. What did she want to try? Did it involve sweets from the bakery? Oh god, he could really go for a creme puff right about now.

His pastry day dreams distracted him enough to where he didn't notice Marinette close the distance between them quickly, almost as if afraid of it happening - the feeling of their lips touching sent a shiver down their spines.

Marinette simply stayed still against his lips, as did he, for they were both too confused with how they ended up in this position to move.

His lips felt soft against hers, the taste unfamiliar; Vanilla?

They pulled away quickly, both blushing head to toe with the rise of an uninvited member attempting to join from beneath Chat's suit - he was never going to hear the end of this from Plagg. 

He left as quickly as he came, not saying anything in the state of shock and quickly stuttering a few words about doing patrol and then jumping away into the distance with the help of his baton.

"That was reckless Marinette, you two shouldn't be involved - especially being holders of the miraculous." Tikki whispered flying up to Mari's shoulder.

"I know Tikki," Marinette sighed.

"It's just, something has changed between us. I don't know what, but there's something I didn't see before."

"I hope you know what you're doing Mari." Tikki yawns going onto her own specific spot in her bedroom.

"Me too Tikki, me too", sighing as she falls back into her bed exhausted.