Chapter 5

“You okay to get to school this morning kid?” My dad asked as I grabbed a Granny Smith apple from the fruit bowl for breakfast.

            He was sitting at the breakfast table, newspaper in hand. Usually at eight o’clock in the morning he’d be at work, he usually left at six, but he’d taken today and tomorrow off to prepare and attend mum’s funeral.

            “Yeah, I’m all set, Vasic will be here in a minute or two to take me, and he’ll take me home as well.” I informed my dad. It was my usual routine to catch a lift with one of the boys.

            “That’s good. Are you going to be alright if I don’t get in till late tonight? I’m going to head over to your uncles to plan a few things. We’re meeting with a lawyer to go over your mum’s will as well. Feel free to have the guys over if you need.”

            I smiled sadly at my dad, “Yeah, that’s fine. Say hey to Uncle Ian and Aunt Tasha and thanks.”

            Just as I had finished my sentence, a loud knock sounded from the front door. “Coming!” I shouted in the general direction of the door, sure that Vasic stood on the other side.

            “Bye dad.” I said to him as I kissed his forehead when I passed by. I threw my apple core in the bin and shouldering my school bag before heading to the door.

            “Bye kid.”

            I opened the door to see Vasic standing there. His hair was a mess, as was his school uniform and I was fairly certain that he’d just crawled out of bed. “Sleep much last night?” I asked him as I moved past Vasic and closed the door.

            We started walking towards his jeep. Vasic was a year older than me and on his Ps, but still in my year. He’d taken a year off of school to go to trade school. He hadn’t been offered a job after that year so he had to return to school and instead of being in year twelve as his age dictated, he was placed into year eleven. He said he didn’t mind too much though, just meant that he had the skills for a trade and was able to play hockey for another couple of years.

            A few of the guys from the team were in year twelve; Tai, Xavier, Adam, Nate, Lucas and Kaleb. They were all pretty intelligent guys and were aiming for pretty high OP ratings in case they weren’t able to play pro hockey, they all had back-up plans.

            “To be honest with you, I slept really well. I don’t know why I’m so tired.” Vasic replied, taking my attention from my thoughts.

            I opened the door to the jeep and jumped in, dropping my school bag on the floor of the magnificent vehicle. I was quite fond of Vasic’s jeep.

            I reached for the on button for the stereo system automatically. I was happy to find that the Cher CD was still in. It would surely wake Vasic and I up, and put us in a good mood. The song, It’s In His Kiss began playing and Vasic turned his head to smile good naturedly at me, before we both began to sing-scream along to the lyrics.

Does he love me, I wanna know
How can I tell if he loves me so

(Is it in his eyes) oh no, you'll be deceived
(Is it in his eyes) oh no, he'll make believe
If you wanna know if he loves you so
It's in his kiss (that’s where it is, oh yeah)

(Or is it in his face) oh no, it's just his charm
(In his warm embrace) oh no, that's just his arms
If you wanna know if he loves you so
It's in his kiss (that’s where it is)
Oh it’s in his kiss (that’s where it is)

Oh, hug him and squeeze him tight
Find out what you wanna know
If it's love, if it really is
It's there in his kiss