The Hockey Girl (Prologue)

It can be great fun being the only girl in a high school ice hockey team. I get to train, play in games and mess around with my best friends, my team. We’ve been playing together since pee wees – so since I met them all it’s been about six years. Others have come into the high school team since and they’ve joined our tight knit group. We are the first string hockey team of Condor High, Victoria and we love our sport.

I’m just as good as the guys when it comes to the game. I can handle my own. But for some reason all the guys on my team seem to believe that I need protecting. They’re all my best friends, but it can get old. Teams that we face always seem to be gunning for me, simply because I’m the girl of the team, they think that I’m the weak link. But I ensure you, I can take a hit just as well as what my friends can.

I’ve always been a hockey girl. My dad played as a pro for five years, until one particular game, in which an opponent player hit dad in the leg with his stick out of frustration. That one blow, that one stupidly selfish move from a stranger, ruined my father’s career. My dad was completely destroyed. Hockey was his everything. Even at ten years of age, I could see the loss in his eyes. That’s when I joined pee wees. Dad came to pee wee games, he watched me play and I could see the spark in his eye alight yet again. He’s told me a few times that my mother and I are the only things that got him through. That was six years ago. I’m in year eleven now, sixteen years old and still loving hockey. Dad doesn’t come to games anymore, but we practice after school and on weekends together from time to time, go to games and he’s always asking questions about it. Dad taught me everything I know about hockey and I’ll always be grateful for it.

This is my story. The story of how I love, live and breathe hockey and how I learnt that sometimes everyone needs someone to look out for them. Through it, I can tell you of fun, trust, loyalty, mischief, friendship, family, and a blossoming yet troublesome love and of course guaranteed hockey.