Chapter 8: "We Were Voyagers!"

Moana witnessed her ancestors sailing the sea, showing her who they were.

Matai:
Tatou o tagata folau vala'auina
Le atua o le sami tele e o mai
O ava'e le lu'itau e lelei
Tapenapena

Voyagers:
Aue, aue
Nuku i mua
Te manulele e tataki e
Aue, aue
Te fenua te malie
Nae ko hakilia kaiga e

We read the wind and the sky when the sun is high
We sail the length of the seas on the ocean breeze
At night, we name every star
We know where we are
We know who we are, who we are

Aue, aue
We set a course to find
A brand new island everywhere we roam
Aue, aue
We keep our island in our mind
And when it's time to find home
We know the way
Aue, aue,
We are explorers reading every sign
We tell the stories of our elders in a never-ending chain
Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te malie
Nae ko hakilia
We know the way

Moana was done and a smile formed on her face.

"We were voyagers. We were voyagers!" she exclaimed then ran out of the cave, screaming, "We were voyagers! We were voyagers! We were voyagers!"

(A/N That's one of my favorite parts of the movie! 🤣)

Moana then noticed her grandmother by the entrance of the cave. She ran back to her.

"Why'd we stop?" Moana asked.

"Maui. When he stole from the Mother Island, darkness fell. Te Kā awoke. Monsters lurked and boats stopped coming back. To protect our people, the ancient chiefs forbid voyaging. And now we have forgotten who we are," Tala answered sadly then added, "And the darkness has continued to spread, chasing away our fish, draining the life from island after island."

"Our island?" Moana said.

"But one day, someone will journey beyond our reef, find Maui, deliver him across the great ocean to restore the heart of Te Fiti," Tala replied, handing her the heart from her necklace.

Moana was shocked. She didn't think that what happened to her and Kimi that day on the shore was real.

"I was there that day. The ocean chose you and Kimi," Tala continued.

The ocean rose up and looked at Moana as she stood there, surprised.

"I thought it was a dream," she responded.

The ocean then doused Moana with water to be playful.

"Nope! Our ancestors believed Maui lies there at the bottom of his hook. Follow it and you will find him. And then you must find Kimi, for she has also been chosen," Tala continued.

"But, why would it choose us? I don't even know how to make it past the reef. And Kimi isn't here to help me," Moana sighed sadly then realized, "But I know who does."

She ran off, leaving Tala to sit down on the rock. But something seemed to be wrong.

Meanwhile, the villagers were telling Tui what was going on with the island.

"The coconuts are turning black. What about the fish? It happens all over the island," they said at once.

"Please. please. Settle down," Tui urged.

"What are you going to do? Who will dig new fields?" the villagers continued.

"We'll find a way--" Tui started.

Moana rushed in and said, "We can stop the darkness. Save our island. This cave has boats. Huge canoes. We can take them to find Maui and Kimi. Make him restore the heart. We were voyagers. We can voyage again."

The villagers were confused, but Tui was angry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Moana found a way to save their island, but it doesn't seem that Tui is in at all.