Chapter 4: Helping in the Village

Moana and her parents were in one of the villager's huts that had a leaky roof.

"Every storm, this roof leaks no matter how many fronds I add," the villager stated.

"Fixed. Not the fronds, wind shifted the post," Moana said, jumping from the ceiling, ate some pork, then commented, "Mmm... That's good pork."

She immediately regretted it when she looked at her pig friend, Pua, who wore a look of sadness.

"Oh, I mean--No, I wasn't--What? They calling me, so I gotta--Bye!" she said nervously then ran out.

Next, she was helping another villager get a tattoo and he was squealing in pain.

"You're doing great," Moana comforted, patting his hand.

"Is it done yet?" the villager asked in pain.

"So close," Moana answered as she looked at the barely finished tattoo on his back.

Then she was teaching some children some dancing when one came in, doing hip hop moves and winked at Moana. She just smiled uncomfortably.

(A/N I'm just going to tell you that I would be that kid except for the "winking at Moana" part. Lol!)

Then she went to an older villager, who was cooking something over the fire.

"I'm curious about that chicken eating the rock. He seems to lack the basic intelligence required for pretty much everything. Should we maybe just cook him?" he asked.

Moana and Pua just looked at Heihei as he continued to peck at the rock.

"Sometimes our strength lies beneath the surface," Moana answered.

Then Moana looked to see Heihei eat the rock whole.

"Far beneath in some cases. But I'm sure there's more to Heihei than meets the eye," she continued, only to see Heihei cough up the rock then continue pecking at it.

Next, Moana and her parents went to meet with villagers who had coconuts.

"It's the harvest. This morning I was husking the coconuts and..." she began.

Then she opened one and it was black inside. The others came in with more like it. Tui and Sina looked at each other with a bit of concern.

"Well, we should clear the diseased trees. And we will start a new grove there," Moana stated and pointed to a fresh set of land that was untouched.

"Thanks, Moana," the villager said, then whispered to her parents, "She's doing great."

They walked toward the area where Moana picked for new coconut trees.

"This suits you," Tui smiled at his youngest daughter.

"Chief! There's something you need to see," one fisherman stated.

They went to the beach to see the boats and empty baskets.

"Our traps in the east lagoon. They're pulling out less and less fish," the fisherman said.

"Then we'll rotate the fishing ground," Moana decided.

"We have, there's no fish," the fisherman replied.

"Oh. Then we'll fish far side of the island," Moana said.

"We tried," the fisherman responded.

"The windward side?" Moana asked.

"And the leeward side. The shallows. The channel. We tried the whole lagoon. They're just...gone," the villager said.

Moana looked out onto the sea and was lost in thought as she climbed onto the boat.

"I will talk to the counselor. I'm sure we'll--" Tui started.

"What if...we fished beyond the reef?" Moana suggested, making all of the villagers look at her with confusion.

"No one goes beyond the reef," Tui responded.

"I know. But if there are no fish in the lagoon--" Moana started to point out.

"Moana..." Tui warned.

"And there's a whole ocean..." Moana continued.

"We have one rule," Tui raised his voice a little.

"An older rule, when there were fish," Moana said.

"A rule that keeps us safe!" Tui replied angrily.

"But Dad--" Moana began.

"Instead of endangering our people so you can run right back to the water! Like Kimi did!" Tui yelled.

Moana was taken back by this. Kimi would not do this to Montunui. And Moana knew she didn't mean for that to be the case.

"Every time I think you're past this, you're turning more and more like your sister," Tui said, snatched the oar from Moana, and angrily yelled, "No one goes beyond the reef!"

Moana was still in a state of shock. What could happen if they didn't take the chance of finding more beyond the reef?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N So Moana wants to go beyond the reef to help her people, but is there more to it?