The Veranda

A soft, cool breeze blew through the night air, ruffling Azriel's dark tunic as he stepped onto the wide veranda, opening and stretching his wings for a moment before tucking them neatly back in. Elain stood on the edge, peering over to examine the streets below, filled with faeries enjoying the nightly entertainment. Lilting voices and laughter floated up from below, filling the dark night. Her light blue dress swayed in the breeze against her thin figure, and the soft moonlight illuminated her thin form.

He paused a few feet away - considering.

His shadows slowly danced around him, singing to him. Nudging him. He turned his head to the side to look back inside. Cassian, brows knitted in deep concentration, now sat beside Mor, staring at his hands. Mor was telling him something, and Cassian was nodding. Azriel half-expected his shadows to whisper back what they were saying, but found silence. Nothing. 

He looked down to find them gone - leaving him bare. 

He sucked in a breath, and turned to find Elain looking at him, those brown eyes filled with - he didn't exactly know. 

"It's nice out there," she whispered softly, turning back around and slightly wringing her hands.  "Is it like this every night?"

He stepped up beside her, rested his hands mere inches from hers. "Yes" he paused, "At night, everything is a little more...heightened" He tilted his head and offered her a small smile, but she was looking at something - or someone - on the dock.  He followed her eyes  to find a young silver haired, tattooed faerie in a soft green tunic, playing the fiddle, his long slender fingers strumming over the strings on soothing melody. 

"It's lovely" she breathed, leaning further into the edge, the breeze ruffling her golden-brown soft locks.

He looked down at his own hands. Scarred and ugly. Shadows lightly crept around them, pooling over his palms like thick smoke, hiding the mutilated tissue. 

Elain continued to peer at the handsome faerie, and Azriel slowly exhaled.

And, to his surprise, found himself asking, "Would you like me to take you down there?" 

...

Let me know what you think!