Things Just Happen

Start from the beginning

He brings her to my face so I can smell her, taking deep breaths in, I inhale her into me. Imprinting my daughter to my brain, never will I not know her scent again. My teeth slightly come out to nibble at the side of her cheek, just a tiny bite, not enough to break the skin but to satisfy my wolfs need to nip at her in love. I can see her eyes trying to open but sleep still claims her. She squirms slightly and stretches in his hands. My tongue darts out licking her face very gently, I need to taste her. I want to hear her cry next, need to hear her song for me. I nudge her with my nose.

"Wake up," I whisper it into her ear but she doesn't budge. Content for the time being to stay sleeping without a care in the world.

Fin takes my covers down, unbuttoning the hospital gown at the shoulder, he pulls the material away so my chest is exposed. He puts the bed down slightly than lays her on my bare chest. covers her up with the rabbit fur and then her blanket and next my blankets. Tucking the blankets underneath me as if I'm a new born baby as well.

"How do you feel, are you in pain?" He sits at the edge of the bed, by my hip. Hand running along my jaw line, then into my hair line, pushing any strays out of my eyes.

"I'm fine. What happened Fin." My voice scratchy on the inside of my throat, it's not as strong as I would like it to sound.

My female is sniffing me, I can feel her head slightly moving around on my bare chest, lips rooting around for something that she's trying to find. I place a heavy hand just under her bum, holding her.

He hesitates to open his mouth, closing it. He shakes his head as if he's trying to dislodge the memory.

"I'm so sorry this happened Victoria, it's my fault. If I was paying better attention, I should have been paying better attention." He closes his eyes, I can feel heartache, the kind that tears at your soul, the pain you can't recover from.

"We were out running, and we're having fun like we use to do when we were juveniles. We were playing, actually playing, chasing each other. Do you know how good that felt, it's like we were brothers again, a family again? It's been so long since we felt like that." He takes a big breath in, lips shaking slightly. Tears pooling in his eyes.

"We came across a deer trail so we followed it into the bush, it was Grey who brought it down. We were fighting over the carcass, not paying attention. It came out of nowhere, we weren't prepared for it. It was the biggest bear I have ever seen." His eyes have a far away look in them with the memory.

"It took me out Victoria. All this time I was so focused on your health and hating her that I never thought that I could die. It was like one minute we were having the best time of our lives and the next I was fighting to just breathe. It happened so fast without even a warning." He hangs his head, shaking it back and forth. I can see more of the hideous scars on his the back of his neck, as his shirt shifts positions with his movement.

"I couldn't move, I couldn't do anything. He just kept attacking me over and over again. Grey would distract it for a few minutes or Thomas would lure it away with bites to its flank but it kept coming back to me..... Eating at me. He was hungry just probably a few weeks out of hibernation. He was all teeth and claw, and he needed to eat." Fine hairs stand on end, with his story. My little female shifts her head with a weak whine.

"Grey got in front of the bear, Victoria, he stood in front of it and took the point, it was only him and Thomas. I knew I was dying I couldn't breathe, I saw my dad Victoria, he was there waiting. He was smiling at me, telling me it was okay that I was going to be just fine, that I needed to become the Alpha he always knew I could be. But he said he wasn't there for me." A tear slips down his cheek as he tells his story. He wipes it away with his hand.