Big Shot

Unedited

+++

". . .You had to be a big shot, didn't you
You had to prove it to the crowd
You had to be a big shot, didn't you
All your friends were so knocked out
You had to have the last word, last night
You're so much fun to be around
You had to have the front page, bold type
You had to be a big shot last night."

- Billy Joel "Big Shot"

+++

"Did you grow a pair and call Icarus last night?" Was the first thing Maggy inquired as she reached me at the lockers.

I chuckled at Maggy as I opened my messenger bag and started to place my books inside. "Yes, I did." Looking over at her, I immediately noticed that she was no longer wearing her overalls. "On a new trend?" I asked, figuring she had something new she was obsessing over.

Maggy, who was putting in her combination to her locker, sighed. "Yesterday, Will and I ended up hanging out and he made fun of my overalls."

I wanted to roll my eyes but I held in the urge. William always managed to find a way to tease Maggy after she goes about a week or two on an obsession binge. I had gotten on to him several times in the past, thinking it was childish of him, but he never ceases. It surprised me that he had gone this long without saying anything. "He always ends up making fun of any phase you go through. You know that."

"Yeah, I guess. . ." She trailed off as the corner of her lips turned down and a saddened look took over her face.

As I closed my locker, I raised an eyebrow at Maggy. She had never gone to the extreme of changing her obsession just because William had an opinion about it. Usually, she'd just give him a piece of her mind and continue doing what she pleased. She was strong like that but her sudden change because Will had said something was unlike her. "So, you're changing this time because Will made fun of you?"

Maggy shrugged at my question. "He made some valid points."

I couldn't fathom what William had said to her. "Like?"

"Does it matter?" Maggy questioned lowly as she refused to make eye contact with me. "I've moved on. I'm now getting into origami." Her face lit up slightly as she began to talk about her new obsession.

"Origami?"

"Yeah, origami. It's art made by folding paper. You can do little animals like a swan. I spent hours last night trying a few different things." Maggy reached into her purse and pulled out a what looked like it would have been a swan but it seemed that it had been disfigured by being in her purse.

"What is that?" William asked as he came over to us and looked down at what Maggy was delicately holding.

"It was a swan but it has been destroyed by my purse," Maggy answered as she tried to fix her creation.

"This," I pointed to Maggy as I glared at William, "Is her new phase after you teased her." I gave William a hard punch in the shoulder. "You're a jerk."

Unphased by my attack, William faced Maggy. "I was only joking, Maggy. You don't look like something off of Hee Haw."

In response, Maggy looked over at William and stuck her tongue out before continuing to fix her swan.

"Hee Haw? Never heard of that," I confessed with confusion to the reference and how it related to Maggy's overall phase.

"It was a show from the seventies but lasted till the early nineties," William explained. "And, it was comedy gold."

"With the addition of country folk in overalls acting ridiculously silly," Maggy clarified and then showcased her fixed swan. "I spent three hours last night just on this little guy. I tried some others but I cannot do much else, yet."