CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Start from the beginning

Enfri's mouth pulled back into a dubious expression. Not as I remember, but maybe. I didn't remember the Varn and Ban one until just now.

Yora laughed. Keep alert while you're asleep, and maybe it'll clear things up.

Oxymoron, Papa.

What did you call me? No sassing your father.

Enfri started laughing out loud, Yora joined in, and she didn't mind that a few nearby wagon drovers were looking at her with confused expressions. A week more, two at the most, was the time she had left before Yora and the earliest emperors would have to leave her for a time. She resolved to enjoy having them with her for as long as it lasted.

She continued checking in with others in the march. Enfri visited briefly with Princess Nkeoma and her angels. The conversation was civil if cool, and Enfri felt like she was gaining some ground with her. It helped that Enfri agreed to allow Nkeoma to dictate a letter to the scribes for her family.

The only people Enfri avoided were Ji Min and the Espallans. They rode along with the legion, still awaiting an official response to the Glorious Emperor's proposal. Enfri determinedly kept her mind on other matters.

There was a good deal of empress work yet to do, and Enfri couldn't let herself be distracted. Bonds needed forging, and not only with the rank and file Arcane Knights. There were Dragon Lords who still hadn't received theirs. The ceremonies were carried out on the roadside while the legion marched by. With every spell echo that swept out from a newly created bond, the armsmen cheered as Shan Alee grew that much stronger.

Enfri spoke the oaths in the Aeldenn Tones over the final bond waiting to be forged. As the ancient language of spirits poured out of her almost on its own, Enfri noted Ban's grin as he looked on. He had his arm around Moon's shoulders.

Deebee was there, as were more than half of the Dragon Lords and their partners. Reyn also bore witness, but Jin, unfortunately, was with Dragon Lord Grellin and Tormaka the Wanderer as they scouted the roads ahead. Enfri would have liked Jin to see this.

The last bond was special, as it was the first of its kind to be made in nearly twenty years. Enfri stood in front of Ascania and Jalla the Historian, holding each of their hands as she spoke the final line.

"—I ask you to become my Opal Knight and my Historian.—"

"Again and forever," they replied.

The elder magic locked, and a golden echo of lingering magic swept out and was felt by every nearby arcanist. Ascania Karst and Jalla the Historian were bound as one.

Applause and cheers came at them from all around. Several of the mighty had been circling high overhead, and they breathed out plumes of celebratory dragon fire. The bonding of an Imperial appeared to be something of a big event for them, because they were treating it with all the pomp of a royal wedding.

Ban came up to embrace his mother and give Jalla a friendly clap on the shoulder. Now that the ceremonies were over, Dragon Lords began excusing themselves to Enfri before going back to their duties.

"By your leave, Your Majesty," Reyn said.

"Where to for you?" Enfri asked her.

Reyn gave her a flat stare. "To the scribes, if you believe it."

"Trouble with the ledgers?"

"It is as if these squinting dough-brains were never taught mathematics at their universities." Her expression soured. "Additionally, it has become prudent for me to make myself scarce."