Chapter 02

A knot formed in Lorena's stomach. She turned to Murtagh who looked as shocked as she felt. Then Murtagh's top lip lifted in a snarl, "You traitors."

The Twins faces sobered. "You dare call us that, you who spat upon the King by running away and joining his enemies. If there is any traitor here it is you, Murtagh son of Morzan."

Murtagh pushed himself off his knees up onto his feet. He paused a second gaining his balance. Lorena followed suit. "We'll never be taken alive. I'll kill you both before I walk back into the Capital!"

"You won't be walking," smirked a Twin.

A sharp hand gesture warned Lorena that Murtagh was about to attack. He grabbed a sword out of the hand of an Urgal and spun toward the Twins. Lorena grabbed for the sword of one of the creatures beside her, throwing an elbow into its exposed belly at the same time causing the Urgal to loosen its grip.

Lorena was reminded of their encounter with the slavers beside the Beor Mountains. But this time there was only two of them, against two spell casters and two dozen Urgals. This was a suicide mission.

Murtagh lifted his sword as he ran to the closest Twin, the man shrieked and fell backward while the other raised his hand to cast a spell. Lorena ran at the Twin planning to skewer him with the sword, she was only a meter away when an Urgal snatched at her, grabbing her by the arm. She stabbed at him, driving the tip of her sword into his chest. He howled as a Twin screamed a spell and Lorena and Murtagh were locked in place, Murtagh's sword stopped dangerously close to the man on the ground.

The Twin regained his feet and stood beside his brother, both visibly shaking with rage. The Urgal pulled Lorena's sword from his chest, and seemed to think about running her through with it when a Twin uttered the same spell, locking the Urgal in place.

"How dare you!" cried a Twin, "You will behave yourself while you are our captive. We are stronger than you and we can make you pay for all disobedience." The Twin pointed aggressively toward Lorena. "She means nothing to us or the King, but we know what she means to you." The Twins wicked grin returned. "If you disobey you will be punished, and so will she."

The snarl dropped from Murtaghs' face. He stood helpless as a Twin ordered an Urgal to pulled the sword from his hands. The captives were then stripped of their weapons, helms, and armour, which was thrown into a black chasm beside them. "Remove his tunic too."

They threw Murtaghs' bloodied tunic on the ground, leaving him bare chested. One of the twins also removed his tattered robe, rubbed it across the chest of the stabbed Urgal covering it in blood, and tossed it beside Murtagh's tunic at the chasms edge. He then placed a hand on Murtaghs' forehead and murmured a spell. The magic holding him in place vanished and Murtagh hit the ground hard, he lay unmoving. Fearing the worst Lorena growled and fought against the invisible bonds restraining her. The second Twin approached and slapped his hand against her brow. He murmured a spell and she lost control of her limbs. She too hit the ground.

"Pick him up," a Twin ordered, "Let's go."

Lorena felt an Urgal throw her over his shoulder, her face pressed against his back, obscuring her vision. She tried to move, tried to scream, tried to escape. But her muscles betrayed her, she could not move despite her active senses. She hung watching the walls as they ran through the tunnels, and eventually up into the sunlight of the Beor Mountains. The Urgals—or more accurately Kull—ran through the mountains on their way back to Urû'baen.