Chapter 40: The Mythical One

『SKYLER』

“Oh, damn…”

The man responsible for our minds watched the horizon lose its brimming brilliance. The sky above became harsh, full of tumultuous dark, ragged clouds, eradicating the overflow of the generous sunshine and warmth offered by the lovingly sweet summer.

And with a cold, dull smile slowly curving from Belphegor’s lips, everything leisurely turned into black and white. The demigods, the beings surrounding us, stopped moving as if their time suddenly halted, leaving us in the paradox of time alone.

“They are nuisances. But fret, not. I would not harm any of them. I swear in the of the King of Kins.” Belphegor finished his tea and wore a flustered look. “This is a mere precaution because I cannot see the King Vessel of Alchemy Kingdom.”

Garet Christopher Lockser.

My eyes wandered; his words lingered as if they were products of fear. “Are you scared of him?”

“Everyone living in the Dark Continent is. Garet Christopher Lockser is the man who proved that he is worthy of being called the King among the Kings.”

“King among the Kings… King Vessel? Ibig mong sabihin si Master Garet ang pinaka-worthy sa lahat ng King Vessels?” Tanong ni Aizen, nagtatakha.

Ngumisi sa kanya si Belphegor at mahinang tumawa, “Dalawa na lamang sila sa mundong ito. Sa tingin mo ba’y may ibubuga ang nakababatang King Vessel?”

Walang nagsalita sa amin. Sinuyod ng mga mata ni Belphegor ang buong paligid saka muling nagsalita, “King Vessels are product of Love, a reason why they are rare, because Gods never love, they only see humans, demigods, or any beings as vessels to plant their seeds.”

Muling ginala ni Belphegor ang kanyang mga mata hanggang sa marinig namin ang galit na silakbo ng kalangitan. Bigla na lamang nahati ang himpapawid—dilim at liwanag.

Sa isang banda ang kalangitan ay walang humpay natumatangis kasama ang sunod-sunod na pagkislap ng kidlat at nakagigimbal na tinig ng kulog habang ang mga aboy nagkukumpulan sa paligid, at dahan-dahan na nagbibigay buhay sa isang malaking buhawi. Samantalang sa kabilang dako nama’y nakamamatay ang liwanag ang makikita. Tirik na tirik ang araw, tila ba’y ang mismong araw ay bumaba upang bulagin ang mga mata namin sa kislap nito.

“What is happening?” Sue asked, whispering.

“Mammon’s orchestra for the requiem is humming and causing the ashes of the lost souls to dance. The one who holds the forbidden key must now make a choice… either to offer a stolen life or to kill…” A strong wind suddenly rampaged, forcing us to close our eyes for the impact. Belphegor once again searched for someone, pinning his eyes on Dylan. “Come with me.”

“Dude… what made you think that I would accompany you?” Dylan asked in disbelief.

“Because you will.”

“No—”

“Together with Aizen, Xian, and Sapphire, you will accompany me and deal with the contract that is already overdue.”

Pinanliitan siya nina Aizen ng mga mata’t nagsalita, “Why are you helping us? You are a Kin, a subordinate of Satan.”

“This is not helping. This is a mere duty that I must oversee since I was the one who forged the contract,” Belphegor stated. His dull eyes stared at Dylan, watching him like a hawk. “Besides, you’re the only one who can open the gate of the forbidden realm of the souls, Son of Morpheus.”

“What?” Dylan asked.

“I stand with my words,” Belphegor mumbled as if we were so sure that he’ll no longer utter another word in order to explain the reason behind his revelation. Morpheus granted Dylan the blessing of dreams; with the realm of souls a part of the sightless world, the world of dreams would be the only way in order to enter it. “But you’ll only be able to enter the realm of souls for this time… because there is only one Empyrean Soul in this world.”

Malamlam na tumingin kay Dylan si Belphegor maging sa mga pangalan na binanggit nito at muling nagsalita, “So, will you come with me and save your friends?”

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

The chances to speak ill against our foe became dry as a dessert. We were left with no choice but to let the Kin of Sloth aid us to serenity… or if you could really say that, it will be the end. Dylan and the others left with Belphegor, leaving us without a single piece of information about what the hell is going on.

“Now what…” Riley mumbled.

The sky once again collapsed as the light and the darkness collided, raspingly competing with each other in order to dominate the pitiful horizon. And in a sudden glimpse, the blinding shine of the sun conquered the surroundings, and its familiar scorching heat tortured our bare skin.

“Ah, yes, ang sarap magmura. So, putangina, ang sakit-sakit,” sambit ni Light.

“Light… ‘yong init ba talaga ‘yan?” Tanong ni Celine. Mabilis na umiwas ng tingin si Light at bumaling sa ibang direksyon.

All of a sudden, the blinding rays of the sun have vanished into rosy-gold glittering ashes, followed by a quick projectile of seraphic wings. The ashes showered in the Divine Continent, removing the burning sensation from tingling within us.

“She suddenly left…” I heard Serena mumble.

“Who left?” I asked her.

Saglit na natuon ang atensyon ko kay Serena na abalang pinagmamasdan ang kalangitan, na saglit lang mawala ang atensyon ko sa kanya ay may gagawin siyang katangahan. Lumingon siya sa akin saka ngumiti at nagsalita, “We are wala namang ginagawa, ‘di ba? I’m curious lang… what if we punta over there?”

“I agree,” pagsang-ayon ni Nicole. “Those bozos… hindi man lang tayo sinasabihan kung anong nangyayari— isama pa ‘tong conyo na ‘to at si Celine! Feeling niyo ba kayo lang ang may utak?”

“Nicole, ang puso,” pabirong sambit ni Ellen. Plastik siyang tumawa’t humarap kay Celine. “I doubt that you’ll say anything about this matter. So, don’t be against if we wishes to fill the gaps.”

Bumuntong-hininga si Celine saka umimik, “Wala akong alam sa nangyayari sa lugar na ‘yon. Hunch, siguro mayroon… pero alam kong hindi ako nag-iisa.”

At sa kasalukuyang sitwasyon ng paligid, wala kaming sinayang na oras upang tumunganga. Muling nambulag ang liwanag sa direksyon na aming tinatahak, at katulad ng sinabi ni Celine, hindi lamang siya ang may ideya kung ano ang mayroon sa lugar na nais namin puntahan.

Ngunit kahit na may tumatakbong ideya sa akin, hindi pa rin kami nakasisigurado kung ano ang maaari naming harapin sa lugar na iyon.

“Guys, look!” Sue shouted.

An enticing cerulean light shone across the horizon, more vivid than earlier. Above us, a king-like winged being was taming the sun and sky as if he was the long-awaited king that the people had been waiting for to reign.

It was such a mystical and rare sight. The man above has his wings arched high over his majestic long, golden hair. And his wings were made of long, fluffy feathers like the fur of a polar bear, thick and so fluffy that it looked like a cloud and emitted a pure white glow.

“Who…” Riley whispered. “Is he…”

His body was protected by heavy metal vessels covered with beaming gold flames like a Spica. And the embers of the flames were slowly falling to the ground, yet all the things they touch never burn; instead, it heals. And his eyes, like hawks, brooded as he sword his blazing black sword enveloped with gold flames.

Though he may look like seraphim, his entire stature reminded me of a mythical bird…

“An aurulent phoenix…”

#