Chapter 37: Tale of the Moon and Sky

『SKYLER』

In the midst of dusk, the dry whisper of the wind hummed and whistled through the window. It was serene. And with my eyes half open, the gleam of the moonlight lighted the dim room, resting its brilliance on the floor. The soft cushion caressed my back. Today was tiring, especially for me.

A sudden knock immediately woke me. It was not too loud, not too soft. I lazily walked to the door and opened it to see an anxious Ice looking at me.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, looking outside and checking if the others were around.

Hindi siya sumagot. Imbes ay lalo lamang siyang bumusangot habang pinagmamasdan ako ng malamlam niyang mga mata. Bumuntong-hininga ako sa kanya’t tumalikod, bigla na lamang niyang pinigilan ang braso.

“You should probably stop teasing me. It’s not effective.”

I chuckled and turned to her, “Then why are you here if it isn’t?”

Nahihiya siyang tumingin sa gilid habang bahagyang nakatakip ang kamay sa kanyang bibig. Pinanood ko lamang siya hanggang sa dahan-dahan siyang naglakad sa direksyon ko’t kinulong ako sa mahigpit na yakap. Nakayuko lamang siya’t pinipilit niyang huwag kong makita ang reaksyon niya.

“Fine… it is effective.”

I smiled and lightly kissed her hair. “Will you stay here for a while?”

“Yep, that’s what I am planning to.”

“Can’t sleep without talking to me, huh?”

“Tch.”

She suddenly pulled away from the hug, making me chuckle. Ice lightly pushed the door, closing it. This night is too peaceful, I guess. I sat on my bed and watched Ice wander inside my room since it was her first time here. She walked and walked until she saw our picture on the top of the side table.

“So… you have this, huh?”

Binigyan ko siya ng isang nagtatakha na tingin, “Bakit?”

“Sabi ni Aizelle wala raw siyang kopya nito. I asked her three years ago… secretly… for a copy.”

Wala sa sarili ko s’yang hinigit palapit sa akin at kinulong sa bisig ko. Nakaupo na rin siya sa kama, sa gitna ng aking mga binti habang nagpapahinga ang ulo ko sa balikat niya. Hawak pa rin niya ang picture frame at pinagmamasdan ‘yon.

“Gusto mo bang mag-papicture tayo ulit?” Tanong ko sa kanya.

She just shrugged and said, “Well… I think it is better to capture the new Primus Section.”

“That could work.” I fixed her hair, brushing it to the back of her ear. “Finally… na-solo rin kita. It’s been a while since you came home kaso palagi kang busy— kung hindi si Tita Savannah ang kaagaw ko, sina Sue.”

“Are you child or something?”

I pouted. “So, missing you is a bad thing?”

“I didn’t say anything.” She let out a big sigh. Ice put the picture frame at the side, slightly looking at me. “Langit… other than that—I want to tell you something.”

“Hmm?”

“I kissed Aizelle yesterday.”

“I know.”

Dahan-dahan niyang inalis ang mga kamay kong nakayakap sa kanya’t umayos siya nang upo’t humarap sa akin nang mas maayos. Nangungusap ang mga mata niya habang nakatingin sa akin, at habang tumatagal, palalim nang palalim ang buntong-hininga na kumakawala sa kanya.