Chapter 9: The Oath by Death

『SKYLER』

A gregarious silence suddenly captivated our very ears, as if our lips rested on their own. No single word was utter as I slowly backed away, sighting the uninvited guest trespassing her way to meddle with an ongoing conversation.

With Sapphire’s body projecting in front of me, a silhouette at her back gradually pulled the hood covering her face revealing a wicked grin upon a look that so familiar to me—Reina Smith’s face.

I smirked and looked at her, “So, you finally showed your face, huh?”

“Calm your ass, Lockser. Hindi pa ako tuluyang nagpapakita sa’yo.”

Sa isang iglap, ang liwanag na nagmumula sa araw ay suminag sa kanyang mukha, binubulag at pinalalabo ang paningin ko hanggang sa maglaho iyon. Wala sa sarili akong napangisi nang tuluyan kong makita ang tunay niyang itsura, ang kanyang mga mata na maihahalintulad sa lupa’t mga buhok na kasing ginto ng araw.

Celine Salvante.

Pahikab siyang tumingin sa akin at dahan-dahan na tinuro si Sapphire, na saglit nagpalit sa kanyang anyong tao. At katulad ni Tita Freya, ang kanyang mga mata’y kakaiba dahil tila ba’y ang kalawakan ay nakaukit sa kanyang mga mata.

“She’s Sapphire Mendoza… the real one,” Celine stated. She crossed her arms and grimaced at me. “And we need your help.”

I grimaced. “Why would I even help you?”

“Dude, I don’t even want your help, but that woman keeps on insisting,” she said, looking at Sapphire meaningfully.

“As if I’ll listen to you—”

“Listen to me then.” Sapphire interrupted. Akala niya ba dahil ayokong makinig do’n sa isa’y gugustuhin kong makinig sa kanya? “After all… I am the only Empyrean Soul.”

“What—”

“Shut up, Lockser. Just fucking listen to her, daig mo pa ang babae sa dami mong dada at reklamo r’yan.” Celine hissed. Tangina nito ah!

My entire attention suddenly drifted to Sapphire; her presence became more enigmatic as her eyes started to glow the peculiar shades of the galaxies.

“I am Sapphire; the only Empyrean Soul birthed by the grail of life and death. And the only sanctity I am bound to fulfill is the wish of my master—that is to grant Aicelyn Hailey Lean a fleeting moment, for her to bear the power that can only be wielded by the only being who can slay the gods. If Aicelyn didn’t ask my master to seek for me, she would still be here…”

I squinted my eyes at her. I can’t feel anything or any reason to doubt her, but she’s with Celine… and that woman is the daughter of the reason why Ice is now gone.

Sapphire glanced at Celine. “I know that you’re wondering why Celine Salvante is standing right in front of you, seeking your help, Skyler. For I am one with life and death, and because of my malediction, I must pursue the one whom Aicelyn trusts her life with from within.”

“Nagbibiro ka ba?” Natatawang tanong ko. Inis kong tinuro si Celine sa kanya’t tiningnan ‘to. “Sinasabi mo bang ‘yang babaeng ‘yan ang pinagkakatiwalaan ni Ice ng buhay niya? Ang babaeng ilang beses nang nanakit at nagtangka sa buhay niya?!”

Mabilis na iniwasan ni Celine ang mga mata ko’t mapait na ngumiti. “Para bang may alam ka… at isa pa, wala ka namang magagawa, hawak ko ang desisyon para sa buhay ng babaeng matagal mo nang hinahananap-hanap.”

“Truce…” Sapphire stated. “Skyler wanted to see Aicelyn again while Celine wanted to end this endless chase. The two of you seek different desires, but both can be fulfilled by the same solution…”

Nang tama ang mga mata namin ni Celine. Kailangan naming magtulungan kahit hindi namin gusto.

I shrugged the thought off and drifted my attention to Sapphire. “Which reminds me… paano mo nalaman ang pagkamatay ni Theo?”

“Nasagot ko na ang tanong na iyon, Skyler. Kaya kong makita ang mga patay, noong oras na ‘yon… ang kaluluwa mismo ni Theo ang nagsabi sa akin ng mga bagay na inyong narinig.”

Matapos niyang sagutin ang munting katanungan ko, ang buong paligid ay mabilis na nilamon ng katahimikan hanggang sa tinapunan ako ni Celine ng isang makahulugan na tingin.

“Will you help us?” Celine asked.

To be honest, I still don’t know what to say. Ayokong basta na lamang magtiwala sa kanya, sa kanila dahil sa nangyari noon. Anak ng isang Titan si Celine, ang Titan na dahil kung bakit wala ngayon si Ice. At isa pa, hindi ako sigurado kung totoo ba ang mga pinagsasabi nila.

Celine suddenly scowled and walked towards me. “I swear to my mother’s name that we are telling the truth, Lockser. Alam kong mahirap akong pagkatiwalaan pero wala kang magagawa kung nasa akin ang sagot, ang tyansa upang makita niyong muli si Lyn.”

“Tsk.”

“If you still don’t believe…” she suddenly extended her hand; beneath her feet, the transient hues of the milky clouds began to create a magical half circle. “I, Celine Salvante, pledges that this mission is solely dedicated for Aicelyn Hailey Lean’s future, for I wish her safety, and not a single lie will escape my mouth. And if I lie, only death will be my damnation.”

I heaved a sigh and slowly reached for her hand. Beneath our feet, the magical circle finally becomes whole. “I, Skyler Nimrod Lockser, pledges to trust Celine Salvante, for she is the only one who holds the key for the empyrean’s sanctity.”

As the shimmer of the magic circle leisurely faded, a symbol of a helical snake appeared on our wrist in a neutral color.

“Happy?”

Hindi ko pinansin ang tanong niya’t bumaling na lamang ako kay Sapphire. Badtrip pa rin ako sa pantitrip nila sa ‘kin. “Saan tayo pupunta para hanapin si Ice?”

“Dark Continent,” malumanay na sabi ni Sapphire na para bang hindi issue ang bagay na iyon.

At dahil ramdam kong wala nang balak pang idagdag si Sapphire, nilingon ko si Celine upang senyasan siyang ipaliwanag ang nais sabihin nito.

“May nakausap ako telepathically—”

“Wala ng telepathy ‘di ba? It was the Titans’ fault, remember?”

Sinamaan niya ako ng tingin dahilan upang manahimik ako. “Sinabi niya sa ‘kin na buhay si Lyn at nasa Dark Continent ito. And here lies the biggest confusion, ayon kay Sapphire, nasa Tartarus dapat si Lyn kasama si Gaea…”

“How sure are you that she’s there?” I asked. Her earthy eyes looked at me firmly, gesturing and telling how confident she was. “For Poseidon’s sake, that place is our graveyard! Not a single demigod could last in that place for days!”

“But Lyn did,” Celine seriously said. “You trust me, remember? Then, follow my instinct, Lockser.”

Wala sa sarili akong napabuntong hininga. Wala rin naman akong magagawa kung siya lamang ang may hawak ng alas ni Ice. Ang hindi ko lang maintindihan ay bakit siya?

“Anong plano mo?” Tanong ko.

Ngumisi siya’t pinakita niya ang kanyanga dalawang daliri. “First, we need the human with the blessed eyes. Lastly, with that person’s guidance, we can pass through the Labyrinth without getting lost for years. And voila! Nasa Dark Continent na tayo!”

“Wow…” walang emosyon kong sambit habang pinapalakpakan siya. “At paano naman natin hahanapin ang sinasabi mo?”

Celine suddenly smirked at me as if I just utter the dumbest question ever. “You are the son of the leader as well as the most intelligent member of the Rule-Breakers… think, Lockser, think!”

Can I kill her right now?

“Just ask your—”

“What the hell is Celine Salvante doing here, Sky?”

#