chapter forty three

Eerie silence roamed the capacious dining room that had a never ending, mahogany dining table adorned with gilded, wavy edges all around it. Elegantly classic, uniform chairs were pushed under the empty, majestic table in delicate order. A stylish, giant, glassy, pricket held candles in proud elegance, the flicker of the silent flames lighting an ungenerous proximity.

Three female figures occupied different seats. Two fairly young beauties sat in the middle of the fifty-carrier table while the statuesque, Amazonian looking woman gracefully sat at the head on a throne-like chair. A black hat rested atop her head covering her forehead, a mass of hair sipping down through it. An intimidating aura emanated from her, diffusing into the air for her companions to absorb it in a reprocessed form of fear. Uneasiness. She knew exactly what she was doing to them and she loved it. The overwhelming feelings of power and control were custom-made for her. She was a gamer, thus her knack for toys. She controlled them and if they failed her or malfunctioned in any way; there was bound to be dire, supreme consequences.
Elimination.

Resisting the urge to smile, she picked a bell and rang it. A suit clad gentleman appeared almost immediately, a tray of glasses of red wine in hand. With deliberate order, he served each lady with a glass before he curtseyed to them and left.

"You may help yourselves ladies." The woman in a hat permitted, gesturing to their drinks with her black, velvet, gloved hand.

Obediently, they reached for their respective glasses and sipped in flawless sophistication. The beauty in a black, silk dress and a matching furry coat spoke boldly. "Mistress." She got her attention. "I would hate to believe one as engaged as you assembled us here to waste your precious time and your stock of fine wine."

The mistress cackled in amusement. "Regina dear. Ever the bold one."

"I learned from the best."

"Hmm, certainly." The mistress agreed. Her eyes cleverly peeked from underneath the brim of her hat. Both wine glasses were half empty. Good. She sighed soundly managing to make the nonchalant act elegant. "I summoned you Regina..." Her gaze was trained on the wine glass in her gloved hand. "Because I feel we need to revisit a number of rules that seemingly have escaped your memory." Her eyes now unflinchingly stared at the addressee who vainly attempted to suppress her discomfort. Mistress saw right through her transparent, strenuous facade.

Stoically, mistress averted her gaze to the other beauty. She squirmed nervously. "Elizabeth? A little birdie told me a story." She gracefully discarded the wine glass on the table and stood. She strolled around in short calculated strides. The hem of her velvet ball gown sweeping about her feet. "Quite an interesting title it had." With an genuine smile on her maroon smeared lips, she beamed enthusiastically her hands mockingly displaying an imaginary placard in the air. "The American detective visits to the remanded, Italian Mafioso." She gazed at them both before bursting out a sadistic laughter. She traced her steps to the tensed Elizabeth. Gloved hands began massaging the young lady's tensed shoulders. "I will tell you ladies a short part of it?"

Her voice was a soft dazed whisper. "An angel of death was once acquainted to a deadly Mafioso; Don Lucas Romano. For that harmless association, he was captured for murdering the angel. But what they didn't know is that the infuriating immortal had past feuds with an ignorant mortal; Bernard Murray. The mortal was the true killer. But still, you cannot kill an angel, one of death is actually laughable. So the mortal lost for walking into the angel's trap like a blind bat. But you see, a very smart detective with a critical sixth sense smelt the bloody scent of the dark angel. He followed it until it lead him to the Mafia man."

"There's a trail?" A British accent voiced askance.

"We cannot allow the clever detective to capture the angel of death, because she will lead him right into the goddess's doorstep." It was the mistress's dreamy conclusion.