chapter ten

The sun was setting, its oranges and reds fading, ushering in a wonderful evening with the right temperature to relax by the pool. The water was usually warm after a long day of basking in hot scorching sun. A glass of champagne to calm one's mind and help them meditate, was paramount. For her it would be work, thinking through future impeccable deals, resisting such was too hard for her. Smiling as her lips met the flute, she mentally applauded herself for being the most successful woman at such a young age.

Gina opened her eyes, she had been in the huge grey bathtub making wishes until the warm scented water ran cold. Dropping the glass down, she got up, wrapped herself with a towel and walked out of the bathroom to her huge walk-in closet to find something to wear for the night.

Hesitating between jeans and a dress, she went for the jeans, paring it with a grey loose vest a fitting leather jacket and black strap heels. She added a chunky necklace then did her barely there nude make up and finished with lip gloss.

She would have preferred staying in her house relaxed by her poolside until it was dark, then work in her study after dinner until late in the night. But now she had to attend dinner at her mother's, the woman kept imposing things on her and it was annoying. Picking up a small clutch bag, she descended the staircase mentally cussing the architect involved in the creation.

"I'm off, don't serve my dinner today Rosanna." She told the elderly woman that had been in her life since forever.

"Oh dear, tonight you had dinner at Mona's house." She reminded herself more than Gina. The woman wouldn't quit calling her endearingly even after Gina had personally banned the act. "Take care of yourself my Gina and say hi to Mona and Gwen." She went on.

Gina would have told her off, if she hadn't given up already. The woman wouldn't quit!
"Alright Rosanna, be off to bed early." With that she walked away.

Rosanna smiled, no matter how distant and cold she had grown, Gina was still her little girl, how she had once been happy and gleeful. She always wore a smile on her face, bringing her up was so easy since she was not a demanding child. That's why even after she changed and decided to move out of the family house to start afresh, Rosanna had followed her, with or without her consent.

***

"Well, look who we have here." Gwen announced when Gina walked in. "Punctual as ever huh?" She went on.

"One would think you don't want me here." Gina said crossing her arms over her chest.

"Like you would care." Gwen mumbled rolling her eyes. "By the way sis, my exams are over and it's time we discussed the internship don't you think?" Gwen inquired, she valued her sister's judgement.

"Sure we will after dinner I know you did well." Said Gina walking past Gwen to the dining room. Gwen smiled, Gina had always believed in her.

"Oh! Gina you are here." Mona beamed at spotting the daughter.

"Mother, what is this?" Gina asked surveying what looked like more of a feast than a family dinner for three.

"Well I'm a Marshall Gina, the bigger the better." Mona answered grinning, again Gina thought her mother was acting weirdly.

"Mom Vanda's here!" Gwen yelled. The two ladies entered the dining room giggling about something.

"Hello there Mona." Vanda greeted reaching out for a hug. "Looking lovely tonight, I'd guess you are expecting some royalty around here." She teased smiling.

"Well, isn't the CEO of Marshall and Associates royalty enough?" Mona responded giggling.

"That's true mother." Gwen joined.